Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally a half decent Jupiter (21/11/23)

Kon

It has been a while since I managed any decent Jupiter images; this is through small gaps in the clouds around 2345UTC. 5x120s derotated images. The IR iamge was a single 120s capture as clouds rolled it. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc or 462mm, 2.5x TV powermate, UV/IR cut filter or IR pass (650). 

2023-11-21-Jupiter_derotate.png.53d48e5f80b745a64400cce6cb2c285d.png   2023-11-21-Jupiter_ir.png.cd60a5c517a4d2e72985dbe732dedc4d.png

• Like 17

Hello Kostas.

Those are excellent results, im getting nowhere near the details you are managing to pull through.  I see your colour image is sharper and showing more details than your IR pass image, does your colour data include the IR pass date as luminance in your processing? 

Mark

• Thanks 1

Very nicely dome Kostas. Unfortunately my skies last night were 90% cloud. It looked like someone had stuck cotton wool balls together, over the entire firmanent, with just the tiniest of gaps between them, but not enough to tempt me to open the observatory....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Hello Kostas.

Those are excellent results, im getting nowhere near the details you are managing to pull through.  I see your colour image is sharper and showing more details than your IR pass image, does your colour data include the IR pass date as luminance in your processing? 

Mark

Thanks Mark. I have been battling awful weather the last few months so it was a welcoimg surprise last night.

The IR is through clouds and in addition it has less data compared to the colour one. No I did not use the IR for luminance. I prefer to have the features for each separate although mixing with other filters can reveal some additional features.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Very nicely dome Kostas. Unfortunately my skies last night were 90% cloud. It looked like someone had stuck cotton wool balls together, over the entire firmanent, with just the tiniest of gaps between them, but not enough to tempt me to open the observatory....

Thanks Geof and I am sorry my heads up did not work for you last night 🙃. The 1am clear skies did not materialise either as the thick clouds never parted.

• Sad 1

Great images Kostas. I missed those cloud gaps myself and I really need to grab those when they come around. Good seeing makes such a huge difference. I just bought a SV 685nm IR pass filter to try next time out. Is there much of a difference between IR pass filters like the Antlia?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Well done Kostas! Sharp shooting Inbetween those clouds! You've got some nice detail there.👍

Thanks Stuart. It was nice capturing some videos last night. The rest of my week is looking ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Great images Kostas. I missed those cloud gaps myself and I really need to grab those when they come around. Good seeing makes such a huge difference. I just bought a SV 685nm IR pass filter to try next time out. Is there much of a difference between IR pass filters like the Antlia?

Thanks Ian. It was a very brief session of touch and go. This is why I like my dob, as it is easy to get out if the skies are looking promising.

I cannot comment on the Antlia but I think they are all more or less the same (if we are taking at specific wavelength); transmittance might be slightly different. As I said on your IR post I have an svbony, astromania and zwo, just to cover the different cutoffs. I am very satisfied with my cheap ones and I am not sure I feel the need to go for premium for my IR. Others might have a different opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Ian. It was a very brief session of touch and go. This is why I like my dob, as it is easy to get out if the skies are looking promising.

I cannot comment on the Antlia but I think they are all more or less the same (if we are taking at specific wavelength); transmittance might be slightly different. As I said on your IR post I have an svbony, astromania and zwo, just to cover the different cutoffs. I am very satisfied with my cheap ones and I am not sure I feel the need to go for premium for my IR. Others might have a different opinion.

I am beginning to regret getting rid of my 12" dobsonian now. It was just a bit too big to comfortably bring in and out of the house. I will probably get myself another 8 - 10" dobsonian in the very near future. I am really enjoying planetary imaging. Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, yelsac said:

Lovely looking image of Jupiter, seriously impressed you've managed to get anything with our weather & the wonderful Jetstream 👍

Thanks. A nice little break but all cloudy again for the rest of the week.

53 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I am beginning to regret getting rid of my 12" dobsonian now. It was just a bit too big to comfortably bring in and out of the house. I will probably get myself another 8 - 10" dobsonian in the very near future. I am really enjoying planetary imaging. Thanks again.

It's a shame it's gone. I thought you might use it alongside the mak. You are getting some really good images with it and I am sure once the weather improves it will get even better. I like my 8" as I can get it in/out in no time and be ready to go after it cools down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

Much better than half decent. That's a fabulous Jupiter, Kostas! I noticed the color image had more detail. I read the post in which you explained your process. Nice results!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. I think , the IR would have given a more detailed image if it was derotated.

• Like 1