NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Visual double stars: colour & aperture

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Not sure if this was posted before, but Daniel Mounsey on CN explains where small apertures can win in double star observing (including on colours): https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/633339-put-your-stars-on-a-diet/?p=8833872

I must get my Tak FOA 60Q out…

An excellent and very interesting post from the one and only Dr D 👍🏼

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Not sure if this was posted before, but Daniel Mounsey on CN explains where small apertures can win in double star observing (including on colours): https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/633339-put-your-stars-on-a-diet/?p=8833872

I must get my Tak FOA 60Q out…

I think @The60mmKid posted it earlier in the thread but it's an excellent article and definitely worth a bump! 

• Like 1

In other news, I have basically done zero observing for months for various reasons and not least another upcoming house move, but re-reading this thread has reminded me how much I'm looking forward to cracking out the 80ED for some double star sessions once we've finally moved! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2024 at 14:16, Space Hopper said:

An excellent and very interesting post from the one and only Dr D 👍🏼

Thank you for the kind words to all the astronomers here in the Lounge. 

Steady skies!

DoctorD

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2023 at 23:59, Mr Spock said:

With the charts I use for the 4" I don't mark any secondary below 10.0 as I just can't see them :ohmy: There's still plenty to go at though.

Same here now and again under really great skies I've caught glimpses but I usually chose secondary no more than mag 9. Even then the skies have to be great especially with a primary that is really bright. 

• Like 2