Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13

Rodd

I was surprised when I reprocessed this data to find that stars at the core were visible.  I tried imaging a globular cluster with the C11Edge, thinking the long focal length would be better to capture individual stars in the core.  But after reprocessing this data, taken with the TOA 130, I realized that the core could be captured with smaller scopes.  I had planned to post a Hubble image of the core region so the two can be compared, but the Hubble image couldn't be downloaded.  Oh well, mine will have to do.  I can finally see the "hairy" nature of this GC.  

Supposedly, my mount is fixed and will soon be on it's way back to me.  I won't be the only one relieved!

nvhJg1C84s-H_16536x0_ieTZ0INm(1).thumb.jpg.de46509b9a5189f97d42ca82fdee41cf.jpg

• Like 27

Just now, Swoop1 said:

That is a damn fine image Rodd! Lots of detail and easily definable stars. A couple of distant galaxies to boot.

Thanks Swoop.  Yeah, my sky makes picking up faint fuzzies a bit tough.  These are bright enough to come through.  I can't imagine imaging from Bortle 1 in great seeing.

3 hours ago, assouptro said:

Stunning Rodd

I know how difficult it is to do justice to this jaw-dropping visual target, and I really believe you have done it justice!

Thank you for sharing 

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I am glad you like it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Beautiful; Lovely composition with HP 150998. 

I haven't seen M13 this year due to exceptionally cloudy nights. It's usually a visual staple for me. 

Thanks Beulah. Not sure what HP 150998 is. Is that a catalogue reference?

Really nice image Rodd. I like the subtle diffraction spikes on the brighter stars as well - did you add these in post-processing?

I imaged M13 back in the summer myself and need to get round to processing it. I took it with my C6 at a focal length of 1225mm, so got in good and close. I find processing globulars to be very satisfying as you can ramp up the sharpening and just reveal more and more detail in the core.

1 hour ago, Neil_104 said:

Really nice image Rodd. I like the subtle diffraction spikes on the brighter stars as well - did you add these in post-processing?

I imaged M13 back in the summer myself and need to get round to processing it. I took it with my C6 at a focal length of 1225mm, so got in good and close. I find processing globulars to be very satisfying as you can ramp up the sharpening and just reveal more and more detail in the core.

Thanks Neil. No, those spikes are artifacts of the sensor and/processing.  I don’t go crazy over stars. They are quite difficult to get right

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

Sorry, HD not HP. It's that lovely red star next to M13.

Ahh. It’s a bit over stretched and over saturated around the rim but in my sky I have to stretch pretty hard