Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dust in Cepheus

mackiedlm

My skys have be really awful again, with over a month since my last night out. This is supposed to be the start of a 3 panel mosaic but honestly iIcant see me getting enough clear, no moon sky to complete it. As it is,this was limited to 5 hrs as cloud rolled in. I was hoping for at least 10hrs per panel. Anyway, this is;

First light of my new samyang 135mm, with the ASI2600, piggybacked on the LX200 with the L-pro in place. 100 x 180s for 5hrs total.

Ceph_Mos_P1.thumb.png.aaba50edaad31c6d53688c5e7fa6a4ef.png

• Like 34

21 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Fantastic image and first light David.  Was this just a single pane / FOV of the planned mosaic?  So much to enjoy already!

Thanks Lee - yes, the mosaic plan (laid out on Telescopius) has a panel directly below this to bring in the Iris and the dust around it, then the third panel will be directly above this one stretching nearly, but not quite,  to Polaris. But thats going to require several more clear moonless nights. Which here in the West of Ireland are a bit like Rocking Horse Sh....!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan_Paris said:

Great image David with excellent processing! Did you use the Samyang at full aperture?

Thanks Dan, I brought it down to about 2.4 with step-down rings. I thought it might need to go to 2.8 but based on this image I think its enough.

Nice! West Wales has been the same weatherwise. Scope was out for 5 nights this weekend with a promise of multiple clear nights. All I managed was to polar align, and then the cover stayed on the whole time. Depressing…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Deep, clean, sharp and well composed, with the objects seeming to race away from each other.

We don't stop down at all with our Samyang... Pedal to the metal!!! :grin:

Olly

Thanks Olly.

I've read in so many places that it needs stopping down but to be honest, with this looking ok at only 2.4 I may give it a go fully open. My problem is clear nights are so rare here that I hate taking risks.

14 hours ago, powerlord said:

Just noticed  that was with L-pro. Huh, that surprises me. I'd never have thought to use something like the L-pro on dark nebulas. But I'm looking at the proof it's a good idea !

I'm in bortle 4 and in normal circumstances I'd not use it. But I have a big sodium street light VERY close to my setup and it causes awful reflections etc. So the L-pro deals with that. I've seen all the words about how LP filters destroy colour and signal but I've never had an issue with it.