NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Novice planetary imager Jupiter efforts, critique please.

LaurenceT

I made my first image 2 nights ago which I won't show😄 but I made some more last night which were much bigger video files. If possible I'd like some critical feedback.

Equipment: Mak127, ASI224MC with Baader Hyperion barlow, Az GTi mount. Processed in PIPP, AutoStakkert and Registax, finished in DxO Photolab.

00_05_31_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap61-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

23_19_41_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap56.jpg

23_21_11_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap59_DxO3.jpg

53250822338_56bea99a10_3k.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

The detail is not bad for the size of scope.  I would suggest though that you get the cloud belts roughly horizontal, and that if you were using a diagonal that you de-flip the image accordingly.

You could use a smaller ROI to avoid pointlessly using file space to record a lot of black sky. 

Your color balance looks right in most of the images, except that some have a blue tint at the edges.

• Thanks 1

Very good start. I agree what was said above; regarding the colour balance, registax usually does a very good job. I assume you also do rgb align in as!3 or registax?. You may want to give Astrosurface a try as well after as!3. And keep shooting several videos as seeing will be variable through the night and refocus between captures. If you have several godo videos you could try derotate the stacked tiffs in Winjupos. For jupiter i limit my captures to 90-120s.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone, most encouraging. I think my video images were too dark to avoid blowing out the highlights. Looking at YT tutorials their images were brighter.

@Cosmic Geoff, I'm not clear what you mean by getting the clouds belts horizontal and de-flipping the image. Would an ADC help with the blue fringing?

@Kon, I started looking at some YT tutorials for Astrosurface, thanks for the tip.

11 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, most encouraging. I think my video images were too dark to avoid blowing out the highlights. Looking at YT tutorials their images were brighter.

@Cosmic Geoff, I'm not clear what you mean by getting the clouds belts horizontal and de-flipping the image. Would an ADC help with the blue fringing?

@Kon, I started looking at some YT tutorials for Astrosurface, thanks for the tip.

I think @Cosmic Geoff meant like the below (hope you don't mind me doing a quick and dirty edit), rotating the image so it's level and then doing a horizontal flip of the image to correct for the diagonal mirror flipping the image horizontally.

JupiterCopy.thumb.jpg.54aa7f92d5a5bbee86e87f3bab1a78f8.jpg

• Thanks 1

An ADC is most useful when the planet is low on the sky, e.g. Saturn this month.  It is not clear why you should be getting a blue tint at both sides of the planet.   We assume you are imaging with Jupiter high in the sky.  Atmospheric dispersion typically gives red AND blue fringing.

22 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

An ADC is most useful when the planet is low on the sky, e.g. Saturn this month.  It is not clear why you should be getting a blue tint at both sides of the planet.   We assume you are imaging with Jupiter high in the sky.  Atmospheric dispersion typically gives red AND blue fringing.

Yes I am imaging Jupiter quite high in the sky, I'll take a look at my colour balance technique in Registax.

5 minutes ago, orion25 said:

I have the same scope (plus a 180mm Mak) and camera. Nice work! I wonder if the Barlow could be causing the blue tint.

It's possible, why do you think it may be the Barlow. It's a pretty good quality one if that makes any difference.

Possibly a Powermate would be better?

Just now, LaurenceT said:

It's possible, why do you think it may be the Barlow. It's a pretty good quality one if that makes any difference.

Possibly a Powermate would be better?

It's just a guess because the light is traveling through more glass and there could be some anomalies.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 17:47, LaurenceT said:

I made my first image 2 nights ago which I won't show😄 but I made some more last night which were much bigger video files. If possible I'd like some critical feedback.

Equipment: Mak127, ASI224MC with Baader Hyperion barlow, Az GTi mount. Processed in PIPP, AutoStakkert and Registax, finished in DxO Photolab.

00_05_31_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap61-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

23_19_41_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap56.jpg

23_21_11_pipp_Jupiter_l5_ap59_DxO3.jpg

53250822338_56bea99a10_3k.jpg

Wow this Is really good images! Congratulations! Much better than my first images of the planets. Any plans on getting bigger aperture scope?

Just now, Chrb1985 said:

Wow this Is really good images! Congratulations! Much better than my first images of the planets. Any plans on getting bigger aperture scope?

Thanks, I don't think a bigger aperture scope is on the horizon, apart from the cost there is the weight to consider.