Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

full spectrum cameras

powerlord

its got a custom white balance set which sorts it out.

what I've found kinda weird is that, at least on my mac, the raws are read and processed with that white balance too, which is a bit weird - my 6d's don't do that.

• Like 1

@R26 oldtimer Those are incredible images. I particularly like the second one where you feel as though you are seeing the view through the model's eyes. It really pulls you into the image and gives that feeling of being there. The colours in that tree are wonderful! You must be really pleased with the results.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2023 at 10:24, happy-kat said:

I've been looking for a UV only filter interesting to see you found and used one

So, the UV only one arrived. I have to say I have no idea what I'm doing with this as of yet. I shot the first set with the camera still white balanced for IR filter (I know it shouldn't matter with raws - but it does - as every program I use at least takes note of the 'for info' data in the raw about the white balance). The second few, white balanced in camera with the UV on. In both cases, I did minimum editing in affinity - just brightened/curve and saturation.

As I understand it ( @vlaiv might know more?), looking at example frequency responses (I dunno what the M100 has exactly), but looking at say, an imx585, below 400nm the blue pixel sensors are picking up, but off the left it looks like the green and red and maybe gonna come up again too ? so hence, I've not got monochrome UV, more a sort of false colour from the sensor pixels firing at different percentages based on the frequence of the UV maybe?

I've also attached a few raws.

OIP.jpg.80f3d9a7c1fb6dc1a152100183229a3a.jpg

this was shot with camera still white balanced for red. this was the a raw (raw very red), and then white balanced in affinity photo and saturated/curved:

IMG_1617_ir.whiteblance.edited.thumb.jpg.3e0b1284bec6762b88fcd3a9c6c4b900.jpg

this is custom white balanced on camera (against a white background), so on camera pretty much as you see - not very red in raw on on viewfinder, and again, min editing in affinity photoshop. note: much less red.. weird.

IMG_1627.whitebalanceincamera.thumb.jpg.93a9f303a856716631b8efad1bc8b0dd.jpg

and here's a few with sky. again red one had wrong IR white balance, then tried to fix in edit. Other one, white balance on camera. Again, I always thought white balance didn't matter for raws, and maybe in the 'raw data' (sic) it doesn't...but since I don't speak raw data.. and use software to interpret it for me... that software (affinity photo, and macos natively for a start) seem to take note of white balance data recorded and apply it anyway. Anyway, that's an aside really - other than it does seem worth white balancing on the camera. How to best then edit these photos - swap channels ? map colours to other colours ? I dunno - will have to look for some tutorials. note the weird total reflection of light from my tesla windscreen here behind i8. also interesting. I see similar mirror like reflection on tail lights of neighbours mini.

IMG_1622.whitebalanced.incamera.thumb.jpg.5a2bc1f04db19970d0e4afe0e3c81f97.jpgIMG_1620_ir.whiteblance.edited.thumb.jpg.43e5d1e50b047fd63f0ae372b3957195.jpg

raws:

IMG_1627.CR2IMG_1622.CR2IMG_1620.CR2IMG_1617.CR2

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2