Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noticable vibration on 533MC Pro

900SL

Hi

I appear to have a case of the shakes with my 533MC Pro

The fan has always made a bit of noise from new, but recently I've noticed a slight buzz when my fingers first make contact with the casing. The fan blades also appear to have scuffs around the outer edges

I'm assuming I need to change this, and I recall seeing something about using flexible silicone mountings instead of the ZWO screws

Anybody changed a fan and have the associated part numbers or replacement link? 

• Like 1

Such fans are usually dirt cheap computer ones, you just need a replacement equivalent with the right dimensions, mounting hole centres and input voltage and RPM. Maybe the one in there has been replaced already but incorrect size or screws used (the screws in that screenshot look like the default ones you get with computer fans too). If you can see what the fan is fouling on, it might be a case of just adding in some nylon or soft washers to sort the issue, eBay search finds a few, I'm guessing the screws may be M4 or thereabouts.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 20:19, 900SL said:

and I recall seeing something about using flexible silicone mountings instead of the ZWO screws

Yes, I have seen these used as well. But I don't have any experience. I just had a look on line for 'silicone fan connector' and there are loads listed. Certainly a good option if you are changing the fan anyway.

A few weeks ago I replaced the fan on one of my ASI1600MMs, a very simple job. I got mine from Teleskop-Express (48 euro including shipment to the Netherlands). To replace it, simply unscrew the three outer screws on the rear of the camera, after which the back plate comes off, but still is connected by its lead. Unplug the lead and take care that the cylindrical housing does not fall off (I replaced the fan with the camera in situ). Then remove the four screws that hold that fan and mount the new fan with new rubbers, grating, and screws . Finally re-assemble the camera and test it. The whole operation takes only a few minutes.

Nicolàs

• Like 1