Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7331 tweaks

Rodd

It amazes me that what I can't accomplish using AP dedicated imaging processing software, I can accomplish with a few small tweaks using Windows based generic processing tools.  I think the windows-based software--like what came on my laptop, which is similar to what is available on my iphone, is similar to rudimentary PS tools--but I am only guessing.  It certainly is not in the vein of PI.  Often, editing images using these tools results in a monstrous size reduction, which I do not like.  That alone is reason to stay clear.  But sometimes, a slight tweak can result in definite improvement without reducing the file.

Anyway--here is the image.  The first one is the original processed solely on PI.  The following image is after slight adjustments on my laptop. One of the tweaks was a slight crop because I prefer a slanted orientation.  That is not really part of what I am talking about.  That didn't change the image--just its dimensions.

Original PI only

K9MRCH5HdDTe_16536x0_ieTZ0INm.thumb.jpg.b134561dd00cfc87221eb6d5d6844024.jpg

New, PI and Windows tools.

b0urllqd.thumb.png.f929e9debe27fad64b0e713d79e523cd.png

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Dan_Paris said:

The resolution is superb. I'm like you, I always perform the final touches outside of Pinxight using a  non-astro software, in my case Rawtherapee.

I usually don’t only because the tools available to me tend to compress the data, or for some reason turns a 5 mb image into a .5 mb image.  Sometimes it doesn't happen, for minor tweaks.  The tools are very basic. I guess I need to find another

9 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Yeah- beautiful shot of one of my favourite bits of sky. And I often find myself reverting to GIMP for the final stage, despite being a PI fan for for nearly 3 years and also owning an Affinity license.

I tried GIMP, but it being more similar to PS, It was not intuitive. Then again I tried it when I was just starting out, so I had trouble with everything

Nice shot!  I use PI, and used to do this at times, even finding that the basic Apple Photos could quickly sort out e.g. my final contrast needs.  I also tried fiddling around in Photoshop, but I'm not a PS user, and generally hate it, so quickly gave up on that.  But anyway, over time I have persevered in working out the nuances of the PI tools, and now find I can do what I need to completely within the one tool.

1 hour ago, Fegato said:

Nice shot!  I use PI, and used to do this at times, even finding that the basic Apple Photos could quickly sort out e.g. my final contrast needs.  I also tried fiddling around in Photoshop, but I'm not a PS user, and generally hate it, so quickly gave up on that.  But anyway, over time I have persevered in working out the nuances of the PI tools, and now find I can do what I need to completely within the one tool.

I can accomplish it in PI, but it takes allot of care and multiple tools with multiple iterations before I find the change I like. With my phone I just slide the slider a big and it’s done. Most of the time, however, I don’t use it as it compresses the data or hurts the stars. Only sometimes, like with this image 

• Like 1

I like the second one which has more colour range, the blues making themselves visible in the spiral arms.

I do some things in PI to start with: DBE/ABE, SCNR green, BlurXterminator. For the rest, I'm glad to get the hell out of there and into the touchy-feely environment of Photoshop.

Olly

17 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I like the second one which has more colour range, the blues making themselves visible in the spiral arms.

I do some things in PI to start with: DBE/ABE, SCNR green, BlurXterminator. For the rest, I'm glad to get the hell out of there and into the touchy-feely environment of Photoshop.

Olly

Thanks, Olly. Well, no telling what the tide will bring in during a sea change!  Contrast this with 5 years ago, when PI was a veritable taboo in your playbook. I note you use blur xterminator. I find that tool to be magic. Have you tried noise exterminator?  It may not be as important for you since your images tend not to be very noisy. But I find it to be magic as well. Much better than the PI noise suppression tools.  All the Russel Croman tools are excellent.  

They are wonderful images, both. If I had to choose I think I would go with second. I’m not averse to using any software, even the Windows photo editor, although my ancient copy of PS CS2 has fallen by the wayside, with the advent of the more price friendly Affinity Photo.

8 hours ago, tomato said:

They are wonderful images, both. If I had to choose I think I would go with second. I’m not averse to using any software, even the Windows photo editor, although my ancient copy of PS CS2 has fallen by the wayside, with the advent of the more price friendly Affinity Photo.

Thanks potat….tomato.  You know, I wish I could improve my skills with PI to accomplish the same end, as I think there are some detriments to the use of the simpler tools. But in this case, I think #2 is better.