Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

N.I.N.A. - How can I get the same framing as an existing image?

fwm891

I have a couple of images I want to add more data to but they're not centred exactly on their NGC parent body.

Whilst I can call up the parent nebula and use a wider FoV and play with the frame rotation I can't seem to get close enough to the original framing to use the new data without having to crop the miss alignments out during processing.

I'm using the same scope/camera format for the new captures as the originals...

• Like 1

Presume you are using plate solving.  I don't use plate solving, but I know some-one who does, and he took the original captured image and plate solved the centre of the image and then used that to plate solve subsequent sessions.

Non plate solving method, I take a previous image as an example, and when I GOTO for the second time, I just examine the stars around the edges and make sure everything is in the right place.  Not too fussed if I have to take a tiny bit off the edge as I don;t dither, and use this as a "sort of" dither anyway.

Not sure if either of these suggestions will help since I use different software to you.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alter framing to file

load image and point it to one of your raws from the session and it will ask you to plate solve or use blind solver (online ) when it has solved, you can ask for a rotation solve as well hit slew and centre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Although I intend to get into plate solving soon, I currently use NINA for captures but Stellarium to control the scope position and frame things up manually, and like carastro, compare the image (star positions mainly) from a previous session. In Stellarium, you can input your camera and scope combo, and it'll show a framing box.

Example below for my current target - note the scope/camera/flattener combo in the top right of the screen. I know I'm centred on a group of stars under the Crescent, with a double star visible on the bottom and 2 stars beyond the Revenant star on the left. 3 stars in top left corner on the nebulosity. For widefield I find this OK for cropping the edges out but I try to get as close as possible, then take a test shot and move slightly if needed.

image.thumb.png.eb5fd9f7814c3b2e4ecb5e834412f1d3.png

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 2

@carastro gives some great advice in a previous post but honestly I would take the time to learn how to use the framing assistant in NINA. Using a frame from a previous session you can get the exact same framing. I have an automatic rotator ant it will do the lot for you, taking a quick image, plate-solving, rotating the rotator and then moving the scope as many times as it needs to to get the FOV the same, within a specified tolerance, to the original image. If you do not have an automatic rotator I believe it stops, tells you to rotate the camera a certain amount of degrees and than carries on as above but waiting each time for you to manually rotate the camera.

And I know many people shy away from plate-solving thinking it is complex but so long as you have the right catalogues of stars and the correct info about the camera and telescope NINA does it all for you, it really is simple to learn.

Just to make sure I do crop about 1mm off the frames to allow for some slight misalignment of different sessions but not even sure that is really required.

Steve

• Like 2

And I know many people shy away from plate-solving thinking it is complex but so long as you have the right catalogues of stars and the correct info about the camera and telescope NINA does it all for you,

Oh yeah!!!!!

I have had 3 people try to get plate solving working for me.  3 have failed.  2 attempts were with APT, one by a regjular user of APT and Platesolving in APT, just could not get it to work.

The other was with Sharpcap.  All the correct Catalogues entered, all connected, went to target, but would not solve, then got lots of connection issues.

I have given up and gone back to doing it manually.  Normally not a problem if I sync to a nearby bright star.  Only had 2 occasions when I failed to find my target in 13 years.   

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Oh yeah!!!!!

I have had 3 people try to get plate solving working for me.  3 have failed.  2 attempts were with APT, one by a regjular user of APT and Platesolving in APT, just could not get it to work.

The other was with Sharpcap.  All the correct Catalogues entered, all connected, went to target, but would not solve, then got lots of connection issues.

I have given up and gone back to doing it manually.  Normally not a problem if I sync to a nearby bright star.  Only had 2 occasions when I failed to find my target in 13 years.   

Oh , sorry Carole, I had forgotten about that, you tried that last time at Kelling and it didn't work , I was really referring to the use in NINA as it is all set up already to use it, and in fact not using it (in my opinion) means you are not using half of the available utilities in NINA is written to do.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

Carol,can you share the image for plate solving please, and provide pixel scale and focal length if not in the image headers ?

Does it fail to solve when submitted to the online solve facility ?

Over a year ago now.  Not even sure l would remember how to do it.  Thanks for the offer though.   

9 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Although I intend to get into plate solving soon, I currently use NINA for captures but Stellarium to control the scope position and frame things up manually, and like carastro, compare the image (star positions mainly) from a previous session. In Stellarium, you can input your camera and scope combo, and it'll show a framing box.

Example below for my current target - note the scope/camera/flattener combo in the top right of the screen. I know I'm centred on a group of stars under the Crescent, with a double star visible on the bottom and 2 stars beyond the Revenant star on the left. 3 stars in top left corner on the nebulosity. For widefield I find this OK for cropping the edges out but I try to get as close as possible, then take a test shot and move slightly if needed.

image.thumb.png.eb5fd9f7814c3b2e4ecb5e834412f1d3.png

I’m using Nina’s framing which is great, even shifting the frame outline around in an oversized  fov, and it will plate solve to that framing (with manual rotation) but what I haven’t been able to do is plate solve another image and import its details into the framing assistant to control the scope… Not using Stellarium, that’s like my small rig using ASIAIR plus foot framing/GoTo.