Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus and Jupiter (27/08/23)

Kon

Not the best conditions this morning. Although the seeing was stable, it was hard to get focus and it was coming and going (jetstream was overhead). Uranus faired better in IR showing the north polar hood nicely (IR false colour). Jupiter is ok with some details (5x120s derotation). My 8" Dob setup.

comp2.png.1734257a506591947e3f2b79abc2575d.pngj.png.1992da333dde799e71d932530012e47e.png

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Nice to see you giving your radar arms a break from tracking the ISS!  Brilliant images.  Jupiter looks incredible and you don't often see Uranus look round!

Thanks. Funny you say this, as I had a go at ISS this morning 😉 but none of the frames were good due to bad seeing.

21 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

More great images Kostas 👍. I’m going to be giving the planets a go myself now that Saturn is now visible at more sensible hours. Do you use an ADC?

Thanks. I think I am burning the night candle both sides these days for bad seeing 😭.

I don't have an ADC as I am hand tracking and it will be quite complicated to do it.

I am looking forward to your images when you start.

• Like 1

Superb images again. My favourite image I ever took was of Uranus (behave), there’s just something so dramatic about it. I think I remember a poster saying you could watch LOTR in the time it takes the light to reach here which kind of blows my mind a bit. Such beautiful colouration.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Superb images again. My favourite image I ever took was of Uranus (behave), there’s just something so dramatic about it. I think I remember a poster saying you could watch LOTR in the time it takes the light to reach here which kind of blows my mind a bit. Such beautiful colouration.

Thanks.  I was not aware of this time analogy, gosh!  I like visual on Uranus and Neptune just because of the shear distance from us, and still we can see the disc.

Great Jupiter, Kostas. Uranus is always a delight. Seeing that little blue-green disc in the eyepiece always takes me back to the first I saw it through my Big Mak (180mm). It was an emotional experience, even more so than when I first saw Neptune. Nice work!

• Like 1