Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M22

Marvin Jenkins

Amazingly, clear skies for a few nights now but last night was the first night I could capitalise. 
I took out the 5” newt on the AZ5 which is my visual EP setup to track down comet E1 Atlas which according to the charts was racing past my old favourite summer constellation Cygnus.

Alas how I tried. But I couldn’t find it at all despite having observed it a while back with the same setup.

Despite having a virtually full 360 degree unimpeded view I rarely if ever look at low targets to my south. I am in a dark place but my southern horizon is not friendly due to distant large towns. 

However I kicked my north habits to the curb and headed south into Sagittarius. Lots of light glow so I was thinking it was a bust, then moving in a slow spiral pattern I was hit in the eye by M22 without any plan or star hopping.

What an amazing glob! So big I laughed. I didn’t know at the time it was M22 but I committed to memory the star field either side which is kind of triangular on one side and oblong on the other.

What a glob that would be if it were observable to me like a northern target. Best glob in the sky I would say.

Marvin

• Like 8

Another vote from me.
I managed to catch it one evening a few days ago in the dob and was surprised (again?) at how impressive it was. I have certainly observed it before but it never stuck in my mind as it did this time around. I don't get to see it often though as it is so low and of course at the time of year when it is visible the skies only darken very late. It would be great to see from somewhere further south so it was higher in the sky. I am sure you are right that it would rival M13.

Edited by GordonD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Thanks for the report! I agree that M22 is a lovely sight to behold. I think it gets overshadowed by M13, but I don't think that it should.

For sure M13 is a beast but I am thinking not just because of size or magnitude compared to M22 but simply because it is perfect and in high dark skies to us northern dwellers.

M22 must be its equal surely? Just it’s position in relation to the observer makes the difference.

Marv

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Have you seen it from southern latitudes?

Best views I’ve had of it were from Aus. It’s highly impressive. Much better than M13.

Also seen well from the Med a few times.

Were it at a higher Dec, more people would be raving about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Amazingly, clear skies for a few nights now but last night was the first night I could capitalise. 
I took out the 5” newt on the AZ5 which is my visual EP setup to track down comet E1 Atlas which according to the charts was racing past my old favourite summer constellation Cygnus.

Alas how I tried. But I couldn’t find it at all despite having observed it a while back with the same setup.

Despite having a virtually full 360 degree unimpeded view I rarely if ever look at low targets to my south. I am in a dark place but my southern horizon is not friendly due to distant large towns. 

However I kicked my north habits to the curb and headed south into Sagittarius. Lots of light glow so I was thinking it was a bust, then moving in a slow spiral pattern I was hit in the eye by M22 without any plan or star hopping.

What an amazing glob! So big I laughed. I didn’t know at the time it was M22 but I committed to memory the star field either side which is kind of triangular on one side and oblong on the other.

What a glob that would be if it were observable to me like a northern target. Best glob in the sky I would say.

Marvin

Hi Marvin!

M22 is spectacular indeed. I'm in Australia and it is an impressive sight as it's gets virtually overhead here. Having said that, wait until you see NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri) and NGC 104 (47 Tucanae) 🤯 Those two are in a class of their own! NGC 6752 in Pavo is also incredible.

I hope you can visit our fair shores one day to see them for yourself!

Clear Skies

Joe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Marvin!

M22 is spectacular indeed. I'm in Australia and it is an impressive sight as it's gets virtually overhead here. Having said that, wait until you see NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri) and NGC 104 (47 Tucanae) 🤯 Those two are in a class of their own! NGC 6752 in Pavo is also incredible.

I hope you can visit our fair shores one day to see them for yourself!

Clear Skies

Joe

Thanks Joe. You answered all my questions before I asked. I will be paying another visit to Auz sometime in the future as I kick myself about not being into Astronomy last time I was there.

Marv

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 14:33, Marvin Jenkins said:

Marvin

was looking at that last week from your neck of the woods. was amazing in the e 4.7

• Like 1