NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First planet for Stella

neil phillips

As above. First gas planet for the Stella lyra 12" Started ok. Then rapidly worsened ? So this a early 17 degrees capture before it all went awol lol.

But i learned something. Cant get focus with My Celestron 2x ultima. but did manage to by screwing the 2.25 baarder Q directly on to the ADC, For Jupiter this year i might try without ADC to get a range of powers. So not what i wanted but Stella eyes Saturn. First light any planet at all. I noticed the larger optics getting affected by seeing more. All the more reason to have two other smaller planetary scopes. will need very good seeing for this beast to deliver on planets

03_18_18_pipp 12 newt.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 19

32 minutes ago, knobby said:

Another nice capture ... how on earth do you keep manging to get up so early 🙂

Health issues i don't work. 59 this year. So  just sleep when i want. Need great seeing in darkness. Hope it happens. I also lose Saturn to a roof before full height. So its a battle

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

The rings are closing in again aren't they ?

I'm guessing only another couple of years before they appear to be edge on. (Which i've never seen before, and is on my bucket list)

Yes i imaged it last time around Many moons ago. Here's what it looks like

post-16121-0-16978400-1649473955.jpg

post-16121-0-24150700-1649473941.jpg

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Health issues i don't work. 59 this year. So  just sleep when i want. Need great seeing in darkness. Hope it happens. I also lose Saturn to a roof before full height. So its a battle

Cheers

Oh, sorry to hear that, hope you're ok and managing whatever it is 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Hopper said:

The rings are closing in again aren't they ?

I'm guessing only another couple of years before they appear to be edge on. (Which i've never seen before, and is on my bucket list)

.....and further to this

Hopefully an opportunity to see a 'Titan shadow transit'. Not seen one of those either.

Very nice and good to see the 12" gathering some photons. At least you can learn its quirks under bad seeing so when we do get the good conditions you will be flying with it.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do under good conditions and when Jupiter is high up for us later on.

9 hours ago, Kon said:

Very nice and good to see the 12" gathering some photons. At least you can learn its quirks under bad seeing so when we do get the good conditions you will be flying with it.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do under good conditions and when Jupiter is high up for us later on.

cheers out with saturn at the moment. Not great lol

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nicely done Neil. Warming up the Stella engine 😉

You have a way with words that always makes me smile lol. Glad to have got it out the way tbh. We worry its going to be blur. And although i can tell from this, it will take good seeing to perform. And likely will be the fussiest performer out of the 3 goes out of focus more often. Good conditions should help

cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

"Stella" hasn't done to badly, i am sure there is much more to come later this year especially. Those 462 cameras seem to be rarer than "rocking horse poo" at the moment. other than the player one version.

Cheers Pete. lets hope so. Got a sony pic of Jupiter this morning. Popular cameras for sure. 

DSC01270.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

You have a way with words that always makes me smile lol. Glad to have got it out the way tbh. We worry its going to be blur. And although i can tell from this, it will take good seeing to perform. And likely will be the fussiest performer out of the 3 goes out of focus more often. Good conditions should help

cheers

When intelligent input is lacking I always fall on the humour 🙂

At the end of the day you want a scope that provides a knockout punch even if there are a few wobbly moments on the way.

14 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

When intelligent input is lacking I always fall on the humour 🙂

At the end of the day you want a scope that provides a knockout punch even if there are a few wobbly moments on the way.

He he. The fights not too far off now. Lets hope we both land a ko 🤣