Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fine example of the Wilson effect

Stu

There appears to be a new AR on the limb of the Sun just now and it is demonstrating the Wilson effect t nicely I think.

It appears as a bright white line, but with the tiniest sliver of black along the side further from the limb. My assumption is that this will broaden out into a large spot with umbra and penumbra but worth watching as it comes around the limb now and in the morning. It’s at about two O’clock refractor view right now.

• Like 7

One of my 1st astro observations and sketches was of the Wilson Effect on a sunspot. Made with my 60mm refractor and solar projection nearly 40 years ago 🙄

sun01.jpg.fa0f90d4eb3f8d7313f310710135e3b0.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, John said:

One of my 1st astro observations and sketches was of the Wilson Effect on a sunspot. Made with my 60mm refractor and solar projection nearly 40 years ago 🙄

sun01.jpg.fa0f90d4eb3f8d7313f310710135e3b0.jpg

Nice one John 👍. Yesterday’s was even finer than that; just a tiny sliver of black. Shame I missed it today.

• Thanks 1

Had no idea it was called that; I have seen it on numerous occasions where a sunspot on the limb gives an appearance like it’s depressed into the surface. Every days a school day on here! 😃

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IB20 said:

Had no idea it was called that; I have seen it on numerous occasions where a sunspot on the limb gives an appearance like it’s depressed into the surface. Every days a school day on here! 😃

Exactly that 👍, and the foreshortening gives a real sense of the Sun being a sphere not just a flat disk.

I learn things all the time on here, good innit! 

• Like 1