Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus clouds false colour (02/06/23)

Kon

High winds again but I managed a better focus this afternoon. Clouds are again looking different from yesterday. I took the advice from @neil phillips and @Space Cowboy and changed my capture approach. I went for 10ms (~90fps) than my regular 3ms (300fps) and it was a lot easier to manage the noise despite the less frames I had to stack .  False colour IR/sG/UV. 8" Dob, manual, asi426mm, UV and IR filters, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.dbe95c5f2d939a20ca2ff4de81e9de15.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 11

• Kon changed the title to Venus clouds false colour (02/06/23)
33 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

That looks very nice. Gives you a bit more elbow room with processing if there's less noise to deal with. 

I would imagine it would make focusing easier with less noise on screen?

I agree processing was a lot easier easier and it took less noise reduction.

Regarding focusing it massively helped under the conditions. I hope to have a bash this weekend again. Despite the seeing being good the focus kept changing and the wind was a killer too.

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I agree processing was a lot easier easier and it took less noise reduction.

Regarding focusing it massively helped under the conditions. I hope to have a bash this weekend again. Despite the seeing being good the focus kept changing and the wind was a killer too.

Great capture. And congrats on the competition. Well deserved.

Its usually a advantage i find to reduce gain somewhat if its excessively high. But this is a somewhat seeing dependent decision. It may not always produce the best result. The more you need a fast exposure to beat average seeing, and wind.  ( with higher frame rate ) the less slowing the shutter down will benefit.

So its a adjustable variable considered approach. Not a blind always follow those settings type approach. Under certain conditions  your original approach could produce the better result. despite the extra problems with noise. Focusing can always be done with lower gain. But adjusted higher for capture.

I think that's what i was trying to convey the most. One other thing i was trying to convey is, if possible try both approaches during the same session, that way you can tell which settings were, or are more optimal at any given moment. You get to see the effects of your decisions more readily. It improves your skill and understanding of these things during the same session not a week later. From that you can tell what you did or didn't do that worked better at any given session. Basically you start to become more in tune with your equipment, and location and variable seeing outcomes.  Anyway at this stage your getting beyond advising. But you asked me to elaborate earlier. And i am trying to make sure i am not misunderstood. That helps no one.  One thing i haven't really considered is how the camera behaves. Because i don't have one. You and Stuart will know more.

If i can can get one i will at some point

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

Great capture!

I’m baffled as to how you can get such short exposures. With my U-filter and my ASI290 cam, I can usually only manage 20-30ms. Certainly not 3ms!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lukebl said:

Great capture!

I’m baffled as to how you can get such short exposures. With my U-filter and my ASI290 cam, I can usually only manage 20-30ms. Certainly not 3ms!

Thanks. Looking at the asi462mm QE at 400nm it's around 90%. I couldn't find info on the 290. Or my filter is more broad at 300-400nm Vs the U-filter 320-380, so more light gathering? The Astromania doesn't have more info on the filter. To get 3ms, my gain is nearly 80%.

I am still experimenting with parameters.

13 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Great capture. And congrats on the competition. Well deserved.

Its usually a advantage i find to reduce gain somewhat if its excessively high. But this is a somewhat seeing dependent decision. It may not always produce the best result. The more you need a fast exposure to beat average seeing, and wind.  ( with higher frame rate ) the less slowing the shutter down will benefit.

So its a adjustable variable considered approach. Not a blind always follow those settings type approach. Under certain conditions  your original approach could produce the better result. despite the extra problems with noise. Focusing can always be done with lower gain. But adjusted higher for capture.

I think that's what i was trying to convey the most. One other thing i was trying to convey is, if possible try both approaches during the same session, that way you can tell which settings were, or are more optimal at any given moment. You get to see the effects of your decisions more readily. It improves your skill and understanding of these things during the same session not a week later. From that you can tell what you did or didn't do that worked better at any given session. Basically you start to become more in tune with your equipment, and location and variable seeing outcomes.  Anyway at this stage your getting beyond advising. But you asked me to elaborate earlier. And i am trying to make sure i am not misunderstood. That helps no one.  One thing i haven't really considered is how the camera behaves. Because i don't have one. You and Stuart will know more.

If i can can get one i will at some point

Thanks for your comments. I absolutely agree that playing with the parameters is the best way to get a feeling. I am planning to do the side by side comparison tonight or tomorrow (depends on the passing clouds). But so far for the 462mm, I seem to be able to control the noise quite well. Stuart's first captures withe 462mm are looking great too. Christopher Go is beaming about the very low noise of the 678m. Regarding focusing, I usually start at high gain or exposure and adjust accordingly.

As I mentioned before, you are more than welcomed to try my 462mm. I will stop with Venus soon, and you could give it a good try with your morning sessions. Just message me.

Yes very happy with the ZWO result. I hope it means that I am doing something right with my captures 😉.

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks for your comments. I absolutely agree that playing with the parameters is the best way to get a feeling. I am planning to do the side by side comparison tonight or tomorrow (depends on the passing clouds). But so far for the 462mm, I seem to be able to control the noise quite well. Stuart's first captures withe 462mm are looking great too. Christopher Go is beaming about the very low noise of the 678m. Regarding focusing, I usually start at high gain or exposure and adjust accordingly.

As I mentioned before, you are more than welcomed to try my 462mm. I will stop with Venus soon, and you could give it a good try with your morning sessions. Just message me.

Yes very happy with the ZWO result. I hope it means that I am doing something right with my captures 😉.

Much appreciated. Your a gentleman. Will have a read what Chris says, sounds interesting. Will think about that offer. Your very generous.  But really should try and get a new permanent mono camera. The 462c is still very capable i think. So a more sensitive mono would be a good addition perhaps. Probably not a total replace

cheers 

• Like 1

Good looking image, the 462 is certainly doing the business for you. 

With my 290mm at the weekend i was using the following setting, FPS (avg.)=49, Shutter=20.12ms, Gain=390 (65%) this was at around F20 with my C9.25. 

Still faffing around with the data though, trying to something as good as i have seen on here this weekend 🙂 

• Like 1