Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MAY 27TH, TONIGHT - STARS OF ARISTILLUS ON THE MOON

26 minutes ago, kev100 said:

I don’t usually do much moon exploration, but I have to admit that this thread has been very inspiring … even had a go at trying to capture the ‘stars’ with my phone and the 10-inch dob … plus a few other things … I’m a changed man 😀

Thanks 👍

PXL_20230527_204257714~2_Original.jpeg

PXL_20230527_210438738~2_Original.jpeg

Many thanks Kev, really nice pics.  When I post observing opportunities like this, I do wonder sometimes if anyone reads them, never mind actually goes out to try and observe them.  You're observation of the event and report are a great encouragement to me to post things in the future.  If just one person observes the event its worthwhile to me.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yes, phone shot through the FS-128 and a 5mm. My phone mount attaches to the XW very well so that helped.

I didn’t count the ‘stars’, perhaps 5 or 6, they looked great.

Anyone else catch the little crater in Autolycus?

Thanks Stu, no wonder its such a cracking  picture.  Just don't tell the Taki Brotherhood I said it though will you 😊.

• Haha 1

@Stu was that with the MSM phone holder?  I've been out every night it's been clear using mine.  Incredible fun.  Didn't manage to see the stars last night but had some quality time on the moon as a whole.

14 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

@Stu was that with the MSM phone holder?  I've been out every night it's been clear using mine.  Incredible fun.  Didn't manage to see the stars last night but had some quality time on the moon as a whole.

12 minutes ago, paulastro said:

PS  Stu, what phone adapter do you use?  I have the Celestron  XYZ (I think) which I don't think is as good as it should be, some unwanted movement.  Perhaps it's a dud!

It was with the MoveShootMove Allview mount. I wouldn’t recommend anything else these days, it is easy to use, rigid and doesn’t move once you’ve set the position. So much better than the Celestron NeXYZ. Buy direct from them and it’s cheaper than Amazon, takes a while but worth the wait.

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/3-axis-smartphone-adapter-for-digiscoping-telescope-spotting-scope-adapters

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

It was with the MoveShootMove Allview mount. I wouldn’t recommend anything else these days, it is easy to use, rigid and doesn’t move once you’ve set the position. So much better than the Celestron NeXYZ. Buy direct from them and it’s cheaper than Amazon, takes a while but worth the wait.

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/3-axis-smartphone-adapter-for-digiscoping-telescope-spotting-scope-adapters

I'll echo everything Stu has just said.  I've been playing about with mine quite a bit this week.  Its easy enough to swap over between eyepieces.  The only difficulty I've had with mine was forgetting that my 3-8mm zoom extends quite a bit when zooming and trying to zoom through my phone...

I've had fun video calling my family giving them tours of the moon.

PXL_20230527_211614491.TS_exported_16905_1685225811772~2.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Will get around to purchasing one of these at some point. It could well play nicely with the PSAlignPro app which has a push to feature on it; played a little with last night and seems to get targets in the right area.

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Stu 👍😊

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thor’s hammer looked good last night. @John highlighted it some time back and it’s always good to see. Hopefully I’ve highlighted the right one!

IMG_7794.jpeg

That’s cool. Will look out for it next time. Pretty sure you’d need to be Thor to lift it, even in the Moon’s gravitational field 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Just found a sharper image, think I got all seven ‘stars’ when compared with Paul’s picture.

IMG_7798.jpeg

IMG_7799.jpeg

7AE71CD9-1BD4-4F10-BE70-827D5C60C7AF.jpeg

Hi Stu, would you be ok for me to use the picture of 'the stars' in a piece I'm writing for a local freebie magazine (The West Dorset magazine)? Happy to credit you however you wish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kev100 said:

Hi Stu, would you be ok for me to use the picture of 'the stars' in a piece I'm writing for a local freebie magazine (The West Dorset magazine)? Happy to credit you however you wish.

Be my guest Kev. A little credit would be nice but not essential by any means. Stu

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Be my guest Kev. A little credit would be nice but not essential by any means. Stu

Awesome 👍. Message me how you want the credit to read.