SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Silly question

I have heard that very occasionally from folks using very wide angle eyepieces and panning around with them. All eyepieces of this type have some distortion to achieve the very wide field of view and I think that can affect some people in that way.

I have not experienced it myself though - I use the same very wide angle eyepieces that you have in your signature.

It is not unheard of though. Not a silly question either.

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you mean while panning around or while your scope is stationary, pointed at an object? Is the view you're seeing jittering, which could suggest your scope isn't adequately mounted?

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

can you feel a bit sick when looking through an ep

I have a BT81 binocular telescope and when I use my pair of 30mm Plossls, which do have some edge of field distortion, stationary views are great but panning around too quickly and the "rolling ball" effect can be seen and yes, if done for too long makes me feel a little queezie.

• Like 3

Some eyepieces can have that effect from time to time on me, depends on what I am observing and how an agressive a pan I make.
To be honest, I have either learnt to pan slower or just not do it, or in some cases have sold on the EP in question.
Panoptics did it for me, they are no longer in my case.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced that with wide angle, low power EPs from time to time.  Don't remember details, but I think there was a fair amount of field curvature visible and I was comparing the center of the field to the edges.  Ugh.

On 31/05/2023 at 12:45, jjohnson3803 said:

I've experienced that with wide angle, low power EPs from time to time.  Don't remember details, but I think there was a fair amount of field curvature visible and I was comparing the center of the field to the edges.  Ugh.

It was probably distortion you were experiencing rather than field curvature.  Field curvature causes the edges to go out of focus while on-axis is focused whereas distortion changes the placement of points relative to other points within the field of view depending on how far they are from the axis.  FC is obvious without having to move the field of view across the sky whereas distortion is generally not visible until the FOV is moved.  The exception is for extended objects like the moon placed near the edge.  It may be stretched into an egg shape or flattened into an oblate sphere.

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2023 at 00:08, John said:

I have heard that very occasionally from folks using very wide angle eyepieces and panning around with them. All eyepieces of this type have some distortion to achieve the very wide field of view and I think that can affect some people in that way.

I have not experienced it myself though - I use the same very wide angle eyepieces that you have in your signature.

It is not unheard of though. Not a silly question either.

I have that problem looking through Ethos eyepieces, it’s not a nice experience. Comes on very quickly too. 

• Like 2

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/motion-sickness/#:~:text=Motion sickness is feeling sick,it or relieve the symptoms.

That would be my guess, a lovely throwback to part of our early evolution as I understand it, the brain can't interpret the signals coming from our eyes so figures it's been poisoned and tries to get the poison out of your system.

The perils of high-end eyepieces I guess? With a wide view and no frame of reference it seems the easiest explanation at least

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Lapwing said:

I have that problem looking through Ethos eyepieces, it’s not a nice experience. Comes on very quickly too. 

Interesting how this affects different people in different ways.

I've been using Ethos eyepieces and other hyper-wide fields for over a decade now and have never experienced this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Interesting how this affects different people in different ways.

I've been using Ethos eyepieces and other hyper-wide fields for over a decade now and have never experienced this.

It is a pity, it’s like being sea sick

• Like 1

I wonder if it's worse on the darkest nights, or at darker locations?

During a very dark session, the main optical stimuli would be those seen through the eyepiece. The surroundings may be too dimly illuminated to provide information on position, orientation or depth.

If sickness results from the brain receiving conflicting messages from the body's visual and balance systems, and those visual aspects are primarily being delivered via an eyepiece view that may be distorted, or moving in a way that is at variance with the observer's body, perhaps that contributes to the feeling?

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

When I look through some of my eyepieces I feel sick at how much they cost :tongue2:

I'm not fond of 'spacewalk' eyepieces. My lunch is much better staying where it should be.

Indeed. I should be pleased I suppose, cheaper that way anyway. I have to say I don’t feel cheated using 62 degree eyepieces, although I do appreciate that is a bit cramped for some. SCT users won’t be into them I guess. Never used one myself mind.

6 minutes ago, The Lapwing said:

Indeed. I should be pleased I suppose, cheaper that way anyway. I have to say I don’t feel cheated using 62 degree eyepieces, although I do appreciate that is a bit cramped for some.....

That's true - enjoying very wide fields of view has cost me quite a lot over the years 🙄

I enjoy eyepieces with narrower fields as well though 🙂

We are lucky that there is so much choice available these days 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Does sitting down to observe help? That can provide a more stable and relaxed session.

When I started observing as a kid I didn’t even consider sitting down to observe. Fifty years later and I would not consider observing unseated for more than a minute. It’s not just relief of the aches and pains, it’s being relaxed so that more and more detail is presented to me. Well that is what I tell myself.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I wonder if it's worse on the darkest nights, or at darker locations?

During a very dark session, the main optical stimuli would be those seen through the eyepiece. The surroundings may be too dimly illuminated to provide information on position, orientation or depth.

If sickness results from the brain receiving conflicting messages from the body's visual and balance systems, and those visual aspects are primarily being delivered via an eyepiece view that may be distorted, or moving in a way that is at variance with the observer's body, perhaps that contributes to the feeling?

Although it's counter intuitive, dark sites are not dark to the adapted eye. I can walk about quite easily at our site, which reaches SQM22. That's when the sky is clear. When there's cloud and no moon, that is a dark site and I can't see to move around in it at all. You may still have a point, though. I combat sea-sickness by making sure I can see the horizon and concentrate on it.

My money, though, would be on the OP simply having an EP which disagrees with his vision.

Olly

• Like 2