Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus RGB/UV Ghost face May 9th

Good seeing last night though sky was hazy. Down to 16fps in UV.  Finished off with OSC.

Combined UV & RGB for false colour.

LOOK AT THAT FACE! Is it William Shakespear?

Auto Dob 250 + 2x ultima + ADC + Ext = f15.

QHY5L-ii mono + bessel U & QHY5-iii-585c.

2023-05-09-2006 Venus LR(G)B face.png

2023-05-09-2049_0-SJG-L-Ven_lapl5_ap13 reg less analy.png

2023-05-09-2006_8-ven_210241_pipp_lapl5_ap7 dyadic face analy.png

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 9

Excellent image and I think that's your best this season. Nice structure on the clouds. 

I noticed you have no IR. Did you add the UV as luminance on the RGB or as additional blue channel? I like the colour balance.

To be, or not to be, that's the question! I think we are both losing our mind, you with William Shakespeare and me with numbers. To me it looks more like The Scream from Edvard Munch. 🤪

Edited by Kon
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kon said:

Excellent image and I think that's your best this season. Nice structure on the clouds. 

I noticed you have no IR. Did you add the UV as luminance on the RGB or as additional blue channel? I like the colour balance.

To be, or not to be, that's the question! I think we are both losing our mind, you with William Shakespeare and me with numbers. To me it looks more like The Scream from Edvard Munch. 🤪

Thanks Kostas, yes I think it is my best in a bizarre way! Just thought I'd try OSC instead of IR but I only used the colour shot as red with UV blue and L.  I could try splitting the colour into RGB with UV as L.

Noise was terrible as signal was weak because of the haze and had gain at over 90%. I ended up combining three 3 min runs into one 9 min capture producing 9500 frames of which I stacked 50%.

Initially I couldn't control the noise level after using dyadic so tried Linear but noise was still there and detail less pronounced. The break through came when I rotated the dyadic image to this posted orientation which allowed FDomain filter to clear up all the noise without causing artifacts.  Didn't need any noise reduction after that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Kostas, yes I think it is my best in a bizarre way! Just thought I'd try OSC instead of IR but I only used the colour shot as red with UV blue and L.  I could try splitting the colour into RGB with UV as L.

Noise was terrible as signal was weak because of the haze and had gain at over 90%. I ended up combining three 3 min runs into one 9 min capture producing 9500 frames of which I stacked 50%.

Initially I couldn't control the noise level after using dyadic so tried Linear but noise was still there and detail less pronounced. The break through came when I rotated the dyadic image to this posted orientation which allowed FDomain filter to clear up all the noise without causing artifacts.  Didn't need any noise reduction after that.

Very interesting approach and it has clearly worked. I am not sure splitting the channels would give much better result, it will be down to colour balance and I feel you have nailed it.

Good tip on rotting the image for the FDomain. I had struggled with my images , i will try the flipping.

I have been out twice this week to get more UV images, but I have abandoned them; there is a thin cloud that is killing the captures; I see no details in my screen and I have to up the exposure to 6-9ms which brings the fps way down. I should have probably persevered as you have got really nice images even at 16fps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Cool capture. Despite the sensitivity issues. You've captured some great detail. Excellent processing. I've heard of seeing faces in the clouds. But never Bill on Venus

Thanks Neil! Certainly surprised me after my initial processing but once I got the noise under control with dyadic that face popped out 😱 

14 hours ago, Kon said:

Very interesting approach and it has clearly worked. I am not sure splitting the channels would give much better result, it will be down to colour balance and I feel you have nailed it.

Good tip on rotting the image for the FDomain. I had struggled with my images , i will try the flipping.

I have been out twice this week to get more UV images, but I have abandoned them; there is a thin cloud that is killing the captures; I see no details in my screen and I have to up the exposure to 6-9ms which brings the fps way down. I should have probably persevered as you have got really nice images even at 16fps.

I would happily kill for an exposure of 6-9ms lol

The noise data I got on FDomain was horizontal lines which produced onion rings when cleaned up. Rotating the image to the horizontal changed the noise appearance to random noise which cleaned up as normal.

I'm guessing it's to do with the crescent shape of Venus and the particular angle I captured it at (45 degrees) and also the weak signal. Or the bloke staring back at me 😉

32 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

I would happily kill for an exposure of 6-9ms lol

The noise data I got on FDomain was horizontal lines which produced onion rings when cleaned up. Rotating the image to the horizontal changed the noise appearance to random noise which cleaned up as normal.

I'm guessing it's to do with the crescent shape of Venus and the particular angle I captured it at (45 degrees) and also the weak signal. Or the bloke staring back at me 😉

I had the same issue with my 462c that I was at 14-20ms but since I got the 462m I am down to 3.5ms and 300fps at 640x480; I can compensate with higher gain as the noise is not too bad. You will love your 462m when it comes.

I had the same exact behaviour. I will go back to my processing and see if that helps. I had Venus at 90 degrees in my sensor so flipping it for sharpening/noise reduction hadn't crossed my mind (or I never thought it would matter).

30 minutes ago, Kon said:

I had the same issue with my 462c that I was at 14-20ms but since I got the 462m I am down to 3.5ms and 300fps at 640x480; I can compensate with higher gain as the noise is not too bad. You will love your 462m when it comes.

I had the same exact behaviour. I will go back to my processing and see if that helps. I had Venus at 90 degrees in my sensor so flipping it for sharpening/noise reduction hadn't crossed my mind (or I never thought it would matter).

Ok, I made a boob. The horizontal lines in FDomain were from borders on the image I'd forgotten to crop off. 

Mentioned it to Neil and he said straight away lol

• Like 1