Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

4 hours ago, paulastro said:

I think you should buy one too.  But then, its so good I think everyone should have one!  😊  This was my very first image with mine on my first night out, and only two minutes exposure, poor seeing and about to go behind  some trees! 

20240106_051642.thumb.jpg.bd1dcefde5fa92b8dc6b2fb6883b9e2a.jpg

Great shot !  In all m years with some pretty competent visual scopes and I couldn't get this, not even close !

• Like 1

For the first time in a couple months the skize cleared and the temp dropped to -8° C so out went my 2nd S50 for its maiden run, under Bortle 5 backyard skies.  One of its targets was M3 in the SE @ about 40° altitude with a dim led streetlite shining behind it at about 15° elev. The SS performed without a mishap, as does the first !

M3 @  5 min.

IMG_4825.jpeg.0512710d7711e2a6e603b55456bdced3.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
change photo size
  • Like 2

On 28/01/2024 at 09:35, Brutha said:

Hi all, well my Seestar has arrived, and of course so has the bad weather! So, in the meantime I thought I'd have a go at learning the basics of Siril for stacking and image processing. 

Does anyone know of a set of Seestar subs shared on the web somewhere that I might use as an example to work on? Doesn't need to be 100s of frames, just enough to learn the process!

I would like this also. Complete novice on PC etc.🫢

Some pretty good images coming from the SeeStar scopes.  

I wish they would give the option of mounting it in an EQ configuration so that you would not have to worry about field rotation. 

3 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

I wish they would give the option of mounting it in an EQ configuration so that you would not have to worry about field rotation. 

you can - look a few pages back for me doing just that.

stu

• Like 1

Just now, CCD-Freak said:

I missed that.  8^P   I will go back and take a look.

Does the software have a setting for EQ mode?

no. it's an undocumented 'feature' of the new 3 star alignment process - which basically makes it possible

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

Most don't anyway from what I am seeing, its the core of the take that is important not the outside perimeter !

Another quick tryout with my 2nd S50, basic enhancing in Lr !

M81 - 15 min., next time I would do 20 min.

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.eb1ffc2335104eeffac416762f1898e6.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
delete one photo
  • Like 2

Looks like there might be a couple of hours window for clear sky tonight around 5pm GMT. First time with the Seestar.😶‍🌫️🫣

6 minutes ago, Bazz said:

Stayed cloudy but another Seestar user got this shot direct from the Seestar:

Image 1.jpeg

That's stacked and processed rather than direct from the Seestar stack right?

How did they get the dispersion spikes on the stars using the Seestar?

MM

3 minutes ago, MonsterMagnet said:

That's stacked and processed rather than direct from the Seestar stack right?

How did they get the dispersion spikes on the stars using the Seestar?

MM

Hi, this is what she said about the image:

A CLEAR NIGHT!! 47 minutes integration time and I tried the new deep sky stacking feature that came with the latest SeeStar update, followed by photoshop. Flame and Horsehead nebula

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bazz said:

Hi, this is what she said about the image:

A CLEAR NIGHT!! 47 minutes integration time and I tried the new deep sky stacking feature that came with the latest SeeStar update, followed by photoshop. Flame and Horsehead nebula

Very nice shot for that much integration time, especially given it's using the Seestar stacked image rather than stacking the raw files.

MM

28 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

diffraction spikes can be created by a 3D printed spider mask. Lots available on Ebay

I think they've been added in software otherwise spikes from Alnitak would be huge and they're not present at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elp said:

I think they've been added in software

I agree. I added the comment about the spider mask so that folks could add the spikes using their own Seestar even though their processing skills might not be up to it.

Its clear that the Seestar is opening up a whole new generation of astro photographers and as a result the desire to get into post processing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trailer said:

This is the core of the Heart Nebula - IC1805 - from last night. 20 minutes of 10 second shots stacked with an L-extreme filter.

IC1805 -TPAINEOPCW.jpeg

Wow...

• Like 1

An 8 min. take with my SS only this time I used my Samsung Tab A8.  Bortle 5, a bit above avg. backyard skize.  I really like that A8 !1707194980873(1).thumb.jpeg.0d62434b38dd29974e30d78381dc245a.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 6

On 01/11/2023 at 14:23, M40 said:

Latest addition landed this morning, so using one of powerlords adapters, I now have my dewshield :D

It's a clear focusing filter with a 16mm extension. Plan is to stop any dew from getting on the lens plus a small lightshield. Interesting thing is how a clear focusing filter affects the picture...

The picture on the left is without the filter and on the right with. It only takes a few seconds to fit so the way it affected the picture was quite surprising so it will be interesting to compare puctures at night. You might also note the change in the colour of the sky, in the space of about 5 minutes it went from ok ish to get it all indoors quick :D. The latest storm has landed so it's game over for a few days. 

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a Seestar S50. Interested to know how you got on with using the clear focusing filter as a protector and if you are still using it. 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, borgs said:

I'm about to purchase a Seestar S50. Interested to know how you got on with using the clear focusing filter as a protector and if you are still using it. 

The Seestar S50 incorporates a dew heater. I mostly have used it with the heater off and it seems the unit's internal heat discourages dew formation.  Actually short of pausing it and shining a light on the lens, it is hard to judge whether any dew is accumulating.