Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

33 minutes ago, tonyglossop said:

I have treated myself to another  ZWO SeeStar S50, will try doing the same DSO with both at the same time and stack both sets of fits and see if I get a much better finished image.

And I will be able to make the most use of the few clear nights we get oop north in the UK.

So, with my  2  SeeStar S50's, and my Sky-Watcher Evostar 72 ED DS should give me a lot of data to play with. ( I'm a lucky boy 🙂 )

I am getting a second one as well but not for the same reason ie stacking both sets .... !

5 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

one each side of the garden to parallax the distance to 
1) nearest star
2) an incoming asteroid

I think (1) would be a tad optimistic ! , , , 

I believe the exact distances to Orion star clusters are still in doubt.....😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

one each side of the garden to parallax the distance to 
1) nearest star
2) an incoming asteroid

I think (1) would be a tad optimistic ! , , , 

Probably have to be one heck of a wide/long garden to discern much triangulation effect 😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyglossop said:

to be able to do 2 different DSO's at the same time ?

Yes and to compare performance for consistency and operation and just have fun and who knows down the road.

3 hours ago, tonyglossop said:

You lost me when I saw the word "parallax" 😄

:) 

no doubt not helped by me taking the liberty of transforming parallax into a verb ! :)

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Probably have to be one heck of a wide/long garden to discern much triangulation effect 😉 

yes! ( I was not being entirely serious of course :) )  

Supposedly with this latest update 1.13 levelling isn't even required so the need for all these levellers may be half price very soon !  LOL !   PS: I bought one didn't like how it mounted, never used it, if someone was close by I would have given it to them.

• Like 1

Just updated too and gave it a quick play indoors with my Lenovo P11Gen2 tablet in desktop/PC mode and it seems very usable with the UI working correctly. A good step ijmprovement for me as I can now use either the phone or tablet to drive it 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

Does anyone have problems with Station Mode? I didn't, but now when I try to switch back to my home router my Seestar disconnects. Any solutions chaps/chapesses? 

Did you download the new update 1.13 and associated firmware ? 

41 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

This thing works so well when it works, but doesn't work so much I'm kinda done. 

Don't give up on it, it is probably something simple, I know when I did 1.13 I had to reset the SS to get a full connection but I won't try and explain. Someone more versed will have to, lol !  Basically when I occasionally have an issue I use trial and error checking / resetting until I find the solution, it works for me, I am a technical person but not well versed in this new technology, lol !

Edited by LDW1

7 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Don't give up on it, it is probably something simple, I know when I did 1.13 I had to reset the SS to get a full connection but I won't try and explain. Someone more versed will have to, lol !  Basically when I occasionally have an issue I use trial and error checking / resetting until I find the solution, it works for me, I am a technical person but not well versed in this new technology, lol !

Had to reset mine also.

8 hours ago, DaveGarland said:

This thing works so well when it works, but doesn't work so much I'm kinda done. 

No issue with station mode other than you can't use a hidden SSID, but at what range are you using it? I'm using the 2.4G band for it as it gives longer range and it just connects when I fire up the app. Presumably you've enough headroom of IP addresses to dole out at the router end?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveGarland said:

Nope, nothing! If reset the Seestar, uninstalled and reinstalled the app and restarted my phone. The app says I'm in station mode and connected to my home network. But actually I'm still connected to the Seestar WiFi with no Internet. 

Any ideas? 

I had issues with Station mode after the update, I too was connecting to the Seestar wifi but could not get the Station mode to list any networks, though it had been set before and was still set to on.

After a reset still failed to resolve the issue I ended up switching from 5ghz to 2.5ghz which allowed me to select my home network. Perhaps doing that corrected any app saved settings to match the new firmware.

I just need to get the moon video files from the Seestar but can't seem to get a working PC connection - it just says I need to format the drive that appears when the Seestar is connected. I'm not happy with a reformat as that would lose the files and I'm not sure whether it would be the correct thing to do. So a little more googling for me to solve this!!

Update

Managed to find the video files saved in the Ipad memory so can process those. ZWO  support came back with a response that the PC connection is a bug and that I can safely format the drive in ex-fat format. I managed to do a wifi connect in Station mode and after adding the Seestar login details can view the internal EMMC  content, even without the reformat.

First Light

I managed a few photos of the moon and a couple of videos stacked post capture.  The left-hand is a cropped image of a single photo 'as is', the second a stacked and tweaked image from a video. Not much to choose between them, I expected to get a better result post processed but pleased to see the straight saved photo is so good.

ss_Moon_photo.JPG.f3fe29870a9341dba6df5f55f2d0a06e.JPGss_Moon_photo.JPG.f3fe29870a9341dba6df5f55f2d0a06e.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Edited by StevieDvd
Update from ZWO