NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

Ordered from 365 Astronomy on the 17th November and hopefully arriving tomorrow the 6th December according to the DPD app. Seems like there is more stock around of the SeeStars and waiting times have reduced significantly. Obligatory picture of the sun incoming and clouds, apologies for this!

• Like 1

I've been told that FLO received some this morning so hopefully I should be getting mine real soon. I've bought it mainly to take to my caravan as the sky there is good. I live on the outer edges of Bristol so not good here but I can't wait to see what it can do. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

I've been told that FLO received some this morning so hopefully I should be getting mine real soon. I've bought it mainly to take to my caravan as the sky there is good. I live on the outer edges of Bristol so not good here but I can't wait to see what it can do. 

I've found the performance pretty great in the inner suburbs of Bristol - I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

I'll let you know. Where in Bristol are you? We live in Yate. 

Fishponds -  we are further into the light dome, but have green spaces on two sides, so not much glare at ground level and a Bortle 5 on a good night.

• Like 1

Arrived as expected, great service from Zoltan @365 Astronomy. Charging and hoping for a clear (ish) night tonight!

The app is so easy to set up, connected first time, could move it around in Scenery mode. Only thing I would have expected is a lens cap just to keep the dust out, anyone know where to get one, thanks.

Clear skies everyone.

IMG_1408.jpeg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Only thing I would have expected is a lens cap just to keep the dust out, anyone know where to get one, thanks.

I haven't bothered with one and it's been fine. The lens is safely tucked away when the telescope's not in use.

• Like 2

I agree with @Lee_P - I've had no problem with dust, the lens is nicely tucked up when the Seestar is not in use, plus I store it in the carry box.

However Ebay and Aliexpress both list lens caps if you want one neverthless (or have the urge to accessorise your new scope!)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Giles_B said:

I agree with @Lee_P - I've had no problem with dust, the lens is nicely tucked up when the Seestar is not in use, plus I store it in the carry box.

However Ebay and Aliexpress both list lens caps if you want one neverthless (or have the urge to accessorise your new scope!)

If you know someone with a 3D printer they can download a lens cap from Thingiverse and knock it up in a few minutes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Great News ,Steve . But you've also brought some very poor weather to us all :( ( as from tomorrow ) 

😂 happy for you Steve, same here and it’s shocking for the next week! Apologies!

IMG_1410.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil27 said:

😂 happy for you Steve, same here and it’s shocking for the next week! Apologies!

IMG_1410.jpeg

Neil I reckon you too are to blame mate … zzz although I was just outside having a Quick Look at Jupiter in the ED80 with blue filter … actually my best view so far. But it’s getting cloudy .

Glad the seestars are coming through now . Good luck with yours .. it’s an amazing bit of kit :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giles_B said:

The one I bought off the bay was a bit loose but otherwise OK. Sorted the loose fit with a soldering iron, a light touch at a couple places around the outer edge of the lip to raise the surface a little, trim as needed with a craft knife and its a nice snug fit now 🙂

For me a lens cap is a must have, 2 kitties means fluff and dust that finds it way all around.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Ordered Monday and arrived today, of course it's raining and not looking good for the next week.

Can't wait to try it out.

PXL_20231207_105402405.thumb.jpg.2ba504b8bd26aa3abc9819ea87ef57ef.jpg

PXL_20231207_105920117.thumb.jpg.9c602bdf9fc8bfa1e5268da94eb5583c.jpg

Yeah, weather not good for a week or so, me and you and a few others are to blame 😂 

Would like some help guys, I have an AZ4 mount and the upgraded tripod, I was thinking of using this with the Seestar. The Seestar is 3/8 inch but I’m unsure of the size of the centre bolt on the AZ4. It looks slightly larger so could be 1/2 inch can anyone confirm please?

I've just finished a guide to using a Seestar for public outreach star parties. This seems like a good place to plug it! It contains some suggested accessory upgrades, example astro targets, set-up diagrams for two different scenarios, and a list of science communication tips for facilitators. I hope it'll be useful to Seestar users!

Simple.thumb.JPG.4258aa5b1a67636ea526729ff98f52ae.JPG

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

I've just finished a guide to using a Seestar for public outreach star parties. This seems like a good place to plug it! It contains some suggested accessory upgrades, example astro targets, set-up diagrams for two different scenarios, and a list of science communication tips for facilitators. I hope it'll be useful to Seestar users!

Simple.thumb.JPG.4258aa5b1a67636ea526729ff98f52ae.JPG

Excellent Lee, particularly like the tablet holder, and the camera adapter for connection of your tripod to the Seestar which is very similar to mine. Also love the red LEDs for the tripod legs, excellent idea.

I’ll be using my trusty IPad for connection and storing pictures, but your right these little smart telescopes are great for showing a group of people the wonders of the night sky. Bravo Lee excellent read and useful resource.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Found it, it’s a M10 threaded centre bar for the AZ4, so a female M10 to male 3/8 inch adapter required, some more internet searching to do whilst it’s p**ing down!

I got one of these from FLO for the EQ5 tripod I had spare, works a treat:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html