NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venous clouds (15/04/23)

Kon

Back from the Easter holidays and I managed a very good imaging session of Venus despite the hazy clouds. The UV capture is showing a lot of details as well as the IR; i made a false colour image as well. I also managed a final colour capture that also shows cloud features, despite shooting through thicker clouds. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mm and 462mc, UV, IR pass and UV/IR cut filters, 2.5x TV powermate. Image processing using Astrosurface, imageanalyzer and Gimp. Happy for comments and feedback. Image order: UV, IR, false colour, RGB. Resized 150%.

Venus_uv31.png.91893f0188cfa5745fffc5769f5ad7ed.pngVenus_ir1.png.d0216fba92a6eb92b37d95d5bb9c211d.pngVenus_colour2.png.8c26320853fd2789611d417528313283.png

Venus_rgb5-2.png.a1c0f7f6420c00e52ac8e8c8484f5bd3.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

A really nice set of images again. I like them all and find then fascinating. The features are very relatable to what I often see through the eyepiece, especially the Y formation, and with the final image with its brilliant limb and bright zones being very representative of the general visual impression through my telescope. Excellent and very helpful!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

A really nice set of images again. I like them all and find then fascinating. The features are very relatable to what I often see through the eyepiece, especially the Y formation, and with the final image with its brilliant limb and bright zones being very representative of the general visual impression through my telescope. Excellent and very helpful!

Thanks. I am still amazed that you can pick details visually and well impressed of your recent sketches. I am blown away when I compare them to my captures. That was by far the best stable imaging session without boiling effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Super shots Kostas! Nice detail on the OSC image. Seen a lot of colour images showing detail this year.

Thanks Stuart. It's a shame shooting through clouds as seeing was very stable even in colour. I attempted the colour shot as I had seen others pulling a lot of details as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart. It's a shame shooting through clouds as seeing was very stable even in colour. I attempted the colour shot as I had seen others pulling a lot of details as well.

Just seeing these on my big monitor and they look even better than on my phone. Considering you had cloud to contend with they are excellent!

Where did you get your 462 mono? I can't find them anywhere 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Just seeing these on my big monitor and they look even better than on my phone. Considering you had cloud to contend with they are excellent!

Where did you get your 462 mono? I can't find them anywhere 🙂

Thanks. These were the easiest to process without having to blow the edge. The UV clouds were visible during the capture despite the clouds.

I got mine second hand on FB astro buy sell. It is the early version without the ddr3 but for our captures I don't need to worry. I don't do DSO so long exposures is not an issue. I have also removed the AR window.

• Like 1

Looks like your having a lot of fun. And getting some good results. Wish i could have a go. Bang behind a huge tree, it does clear it. but then its low. Btw if you calibrated white balance. I suspect that is a much truer visual color shot. mainly because your shooting in color. If your not balancing, white balance its worth a try. to see what the visual color actually looks like. Heres a interesting thought. If you balance white balance. what ever the colour balance turns out, should that be used as a basis for UV Synth green IR ?. I would suspect not as we are unsure what the color would look like outside the normal color spectrum. the color shot looks a lot more yellow

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Looks like your having a lot of fun. And getting some good results. Wish i could have a go. Bang behind a huge tree, it does clear it. but then its low. Btw if you calibrated white balance. I suspect that is a much truer visual color shot. mainly because your shooting in color. If your not balancing, white balance its worth a try. to see what the visual color actually looks like. Heres a interesting thought. If you balance white balance. what ever the colour balance turns out, should that be used as a basis for UV Synth green IR ?. I would suspect not as we are unsure what the color would look like outside the normal color spectrum. the color shot looks a lot more yellow

I would have loved to see what you come up with as you are on of the top planet imagers. It would have put my processing into perspective (it has certainly helped with Jupiter and Mars).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Yes a lot of fun with the new camera and certainly worth the investment. The last image is from the colour camera so true colour with white balance. The false colour is also white balanced but is different from the true colour image. There are subtle similarities on the darker clouds, orange like appearance, I think. I could not increase saturation on the true colour as I was getting quite a bit of reddish at the bright edge rind. The yellow that you mention seems to be on other colour captures I have seen elsewhere. I didn't follow their colours but let my data and the software 'decide'.

I am not sure I follow:

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

If you balance white balance. what ever the colour balance turns out, should that be used as a basis for UV Synth green IR ?. I

So rather than colouring the synthetic layer as green, try match it to the colour of the last image? Happy to give it a go if that's what you meant.

15 hours ago, Kon said:

I would have loved to see what you come up with as you are on of the top planet imagers. It would have put my processing into perspective (it has certainly helped with Jupiter and Mars).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Yes a lot of fun with the new camera and certainly worth the investment. The last image is from the colour camera so true colour with white balance. The false colour is also white balanced but is different from the true colour image. There are subtle similarities on the darker clouds, orange like appearance, I think. I could not increase saturation on the true colour as I was getting quite a bit of reddish at the bright edge rind. The yellow that you mention seems to be on other colour captures I have seen elsewhere. I didn't follow their colours but let my data and the software 'decide'.

I am not sure I follow:

So rather than colouring the synthetic layer as green, try match it to the colour of the last image? Happy to give it a go if that's what you meant.

Just wondered if the true color image was closer to what the balance actually could be for UV green IR. Hard to know of course. My question itself is kind of flawed of course. The outer (inner) visual spectrums influence. Is hard to gauge 

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Just wondered if the true color image was closer to what the balance actually could be for UV green IR. Hard to know of course. My question itself is kind of flawed of course. The outer (inner) visual spectrums influence. Is hard to gauge 

I tried what you said; took the true colour and applied to the synthetic green. Looks more subtle and natural in my eyes. It makes me want to have a good true colour image to 'correctly' balance my synthetic green. (As you commented before not true colours and open to interpretation).

image.png.d36a5c76110e33d735a622d55f1afe65.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...