Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More 12" Stella lyra

neil phillips

Had a better crack at it last night, setup early. unfortunately it was even more windy than the night before. so tried my best to use the pause start method

A few to go through. which i will add as i go along Schiller. ( Noah's ark ) Equipment as yesterday 

reg.tif c.png full.png

Full size 100% capture size F10 ideal sampling. You may have to open on new page for it to open. It sometimes happens here. 

90.png b.png 80.png

moretus full.png

DSC01137.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 15

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

That's another belter! How long are your captures Neil? What number of frames are we talking about?

Cheers Stuart would have been a lot better if the wind wasn't constantly throwing the image around. But we work with what we have. I was capturing between about 10 and 12 thousand frames per capture. Seeing was varying a lot. But could see clarity coming and going. So capturing more frames helps cherry pick enough of those clarity frames to cope with noise.

That's the logic. I haven't been dropping gain that low. Preferring to reduce read noise with a higher gain. And use large stacks. The other upshot of that is a shorter exposure which tends to beat poor seeing better. Under perfect seeing, one could reduce the gain, ( read noise can be swamped out generally ) stack less frames. And have a longer exposure. But not here at my location. Not yet. I would like to compare the two different techniques. But need good seeing for the other one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

Looks like someone did a good job with the collimation 😉

Thanks for the capture info Neil. 👍

No worries mate. You know what they say about well collimated telescopes. I haven't done a star test. But after these images in far from perfect conditions. I will be surprised if it doesn't look acceptable. Now just need to sort this mount out. 

Just now, Ags said:

Fine images. Makes me want a bigger telescope!

Hi AGS I was using a skywatcher 300p many years ago. And i saw the benefit then going up to a 12". I couldn't go any higher. For a Newtonian anyway. I just find the weight too intimidating. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul M said:

These are sensational images.

Honestly, I couldn't have done better with a DLSR from low lunar orbit!

Lol cheers Paul. Feels like the setup is already starting to deliver. The real buzz for a long time lunar imager, is realizing, it can get even better. Just need to bide my time now, I would love a C14. Unfortunately i cant afford one. So this at least gets me someway towards better resolution. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi AGS I was using a skywatcher 300p many years ago. And i saw the benefit then going up to a 12". I couldn't go any higher. For a Newtonian anyway. I just find the weight too intimidating. 

I'm thinking a 10" dob on an EQ platform would be just about doable for me. But there's still a lot to squeeze out of my C6.

• Like 1

Just now, Ags said:

I'm thinking a 10" dob on an EQ platform would be just about doable for me. But there's still a lot to squeeze out of my C6.

Used a 10 for years, and its really a sweet spot. for resolution. Get a good set of optics and it can really perform. Similar to these. I agree your C6 has more to give. Get a 10 going, and use the C6 for lazy nights. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

The real buzz for a long time lunar imager, is realizing, it can get even better.

Just be aware of the law of diminishing returns! 😉

I had a 10" Newt on an NEQ6 for a long while and found that was a handful, particularly if I left it fully loaded with the usual imaging adornments. I've gone to a shorter but heavier OTA recently. Seems easier to me but I think it's not so much the bulk as the unweildly length that makes the Newt a bit of a slog!

A C14 is my dream scope too, even though I've read all the negatives about handleabillity and susceptibillity to poor seeing etc! I know the seeing issue is circumvented by the "lucky imaging" style video frame method of planetary imaging. I'm not really a planetary imaging type. With my slap-dash approach it is possible to get some results with Deep Sky imaging. That won't work with planetary!

Just now, Paul M said:

Just be aware of the law of diminishing returns! 😉

I had a 10" Newt on an NEQ6 for a long while and found that was a handful, particularly if I left it fully loaded with the usual imaging adornments. I've gone to a shorter but heavier OTA recently. Seems easier to me but I think it's not so much the bulk as the unweildly length that makes the Newt a bit of a slog!

A C14 is my dream scope too, even though I've read all the negatives about handleabillity and susceptibillity to poor seeing etc! I know the seeing issue is circumvented by the "lucky imaging" style video frame method of planetary imaging. I'm not really a planetary imaging type. With my slap-dash approach it is possible to get some results with Deep Sky imaging. That won't work with planetary!

I can tell i haven't reached a peak with it yet. UK skies doesn't give up the ghost that quick. ( not usually anyway ) But yeah your right, this weighs 20 KGs, but couple that with the length. And slog is the right word. I hate setting it up. As the scorpions said no pain no gain. But apart from the fact I've always loved lunar imaging, i am also getting ready; ironing out the setup for jupiters return. i have time

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

Stunning images. Your Aristarchus and the rimae are excellent; you have got it on the right lighting too. The setup is looking great.

Cheers Kon yes you can see inside Aristarchus with the reducing shadow. Would have preferred a bit more shadow on Gassendi.  One more day would have been too much. But the fractures resolved quite well considering the reduction of shadow 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

Just now, step_hen said:

Stunning images Neil. It was looking at your previous work that has inspired me to try lunar imaging myself. Out of those 10-12k frames, how many do you usually keep and stack? 

Hi That's a compliment. Many thanks for that. On these set i was stacking about 1000 frames on average. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Gain was quite high. and exposure short. So if your gain is around 200 or higher. you will need quite a few to control noise. Again what i said here underneath applies. 

I was capturing between about 10 and 12 thousand frames per capture. Seeing was varying a lot. But i could see clarity coming and going. So capturing more frames helps cherry pick enough of those clarity frames to cope with noise.

That's the logic. I haven't been dropping gain that low. Preferring to reduce read noise with a higher gain. And use large stacks. The other upshot of that is a shorter exposure which tends to beat poor seeing better. Under perfect seeing, one could reduce the gain, ( read noise can be swamped out generally ) stack less frames. And have a longer exposure. But not here at my location. Not yet. I would like to compare the two different techniques. But need good seeing for the other one. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, step_hen said:

Thanks, that makes sense. I've been stacking around 70-120 out of 1000 to 1500 frames with the asi662mc with gain around 230ish. I'll try upping the capture time considerably next time. 

I am not saying mine is the only technique that works, but it works for me, I think there is sound reasons why it does. But lower gain less frame technique can also work. Under the naff seeing we had recently i suggest that's not the best option for UK skies. Hope my results bare this out

Cheers again