NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to viewing and Astrophotography

MessierMatt

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Boy do I feel like a clutz, you’re new and you figured out how to tag member names in posts, it only took me six years on SGL 😂

Thats because you spend way too much time outside in that freezing cold that is Canada, and froze your brain lol.  And speaking of cold.... Would you kindly keep it up there please 

24 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Welcome to the forum.  Cracking first image of orion.

Cheers. Just downloaded GIMP so I’ll be attempting some trial and error processing tonight.  Need to get my head round stacking as well. 

Hi @MessierMatt and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Nice image!

2 hours ago, MessierMatt said:

Cheers. Just downloaded GIMP so I’ll be attempting some trial and error processing tonight.  Need to get my head round stacking as well.

You may find these tutorials helpful... 

And here too! http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-gimp-astrophotography/01-tutorial-gimp-astrophotography-introduction.html

Edited by Philip R

Great first shot! It will only get better. Be mindful of the expensive slippery slope that can be astrophotography, lol. But above all, learn as much as you can, have fun, and watch your budget, haha!

Welcome to SGL!

Reggie

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carastro said:

Can’t believe how much detail you have got in one shot and no tracking.  Amazing. 

Carole

Me too! Did a 2 sec exposure hence the slight trails. I think it’s shot at F4 as I used prime focus (although I’m sure this aspect is complicated….) and the iso was way too high. I couldn’t believe it when the colour and detail just popped on the camera! Good old camera sensors! 

7 hours ago, orion25 said:

Great first shot! It will only get better. Be mindful of the expensive slippery slope that can be astrophotography, lol. But above all, learn as much as you can, have fun, and watch your budget, haha!

Welcome to SGL!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. I’m already having to stop myself from buying more toys. I’m quite happy with my set up at the moment so will experiment with this for the time being. 

Thanks @Jasonb. I used a 150p Skywatcher Explorer (750mm) with a Canon 800d at Prime Focus. Having checked the photo information the shutter speed was 0.8s, ISO12800. I think with this set up it shot at F4 but I may be wrong. I’m lucky to live in a Bortle 4 area so reasonably clear skies.

I did some basic processing as I am struggling with using RawTherapee and GIMP at the moment. 

Advice is always appreciated!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @MessierMatt! You won't get advice from me I'm afraid (at least, not *good* advice) as my experience with Astrophotography is holding my smartphone up to the eyepiece! :)

However, I do have the exact same Telescope as you, so that's promising to me. 

If you have the time, could you please explain "using the Canon 800d at Prime Focus", and also what "setting up the shot at F4" means? I assume you have the Camera attached directly to the scope using an adapter or something?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I'm just so impressed with your picture!

8 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Thanks @MessierMatt! You won't get advice from me I'm afraid (at least, not *good* advice) as my experience with Astrophotography is holding my smartphone up to the eyepiece! :)

However, I do have the exact same Telescope as you, so that's promising to me. 

If you have the time, could you please explain "using the Canon 800d at Prime Focus", and also what "setting up the shot at F4" means? I assume you have the Camera attached directly to the scope using an adapter or something?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I'm just so impressed with your picture!

@Jasonb I’m super new to this too. The picture above is the first one I’ve taken using dedicated equipment. I’m probably not the best person to ask but I’ll try and answer. ‘Prime focus’ is attaching the camera directly to the telescope using a t ring (I bought one from Amazon for £6 that fits my camera model). The t ring attaches to the camera and screws into the telescope after you have removed the eye piece adapter. There’s quite a lot on You Tube if you search for this. I then aimed the scope at the nebula and shot with the settings mentioned above. F4 is the aperture size (the lower the number the larger the opening in the lens).

Im sure others can confirm or add details to this……

I think the older models of the 150p do not offer enough ‘inward focus’ for Prime Focus. Again you will see this in the You Tube vids.  Good luck!  Happy to private message if you have further questions. 

• 1 month later...