Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeleVue Genesis

I think Televue have got less relevant for scopes as they have not really produced anything new for a long time. I don’t think the optical performance is quite up there with the others now which is a shame. Their eyepieces are a different story obviously.

• Like 2

On the TV scope front, the price is high against some other scopes and the build is not perhaps as new as it might be, its traditional.
But I played with the TV85 at the PAS on Saturday and it was superbly made, the focuser sublime as supplied and the daylight view across the hall super too. 
So I think TV is still relevant, its just a more traditional product and still has a market sector.
The same applies to certain Japan made scopes, mentioning no name, the build is traditional, the focuser in stock for often upgraded by many owners, some when new, it has a market sector.
The same applies to all the Chinese and Taiwanese scopes, they all have a market sector and indeed a fan base.

This hoby is a broad church and long may it remain that way, we all have varying available funds and varying times,
never break yourself got a hobby to get the 'in' kit, just get some kit as and when you can afford it and join in.
After all its what we look at that really counts.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

This hoby is a broad church and long may it remain that way, we all have varying available funds and varying times,
never break yourself got a hobby to get the 'in' kit, just get some kit as and when you can afford it and join in.
After all its what we look at that really counts.

So true. Never mind what kit you have, get out there and enjoy the hobby 👍

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 07:42, Moonlit Knight said:

If you can find me one for 800 quid I might think about it, otherwise no. 

I don’t know what people on here do for a living, but not everyone can afford to pay a couple of thousand pounds plus for a telescope. 

There are a lot of great scopes out there- if you ever find an older 90mm SV f7 triplet Id grab it. Mine is excellent. I paid 1400 US 10 years ago and I figure they are worth $1000 CDN or so maybe a bit more. SW100ED Pro's are vg too at f9 I think. Sample to sample variation might apply to the SW's.

The Tak 76mm would be a stunning telescope and would be worth saving for IMHO. Stellarvue had a 100mm doublet, new style with the good lenses for $2g US I believe.Some people bash SV for some reason but my old 90mm with Chinese lenses is a very very good scope...

• 2 weeks later...