NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone tried installing Windows 11 on PC not meeting minimum system requirements?

PeterCPC

• 8 months later...

If you now running Win 11 22H2 on an unsupported machine (I guess many are) and are waiting to see if 23H2 will become available to you, check to see if KB5031455 has been recently installed. If so, you can automatically get 23H2 by simply installing KB50327397. KB5032797 enables the 23H2 updates contained in KB5031455 and only takes a couple of minutes (see video below, starts at @ 11minutes in, link for the required file contained in the description). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

If you now running Win 11 22H2 on an unsupported machine...

I'm running Win10 on an unsupported machine.  I don't really want to update to Win 11 as I assume I'd have to reinstall 9 years worth of apps🤔

Anyone know of a way to do the equivalent described in the video but for Win10? Is Win 10 still supported by MS?

CS, Andy

1 minute ago, fireballxl5 said:

I'm running Win10 on an unsupported machine.  I don't really want to update to Win 11 as I assume I'd have to reinstall 9 years worth of apps🤔

Anyone know of a way to do the equivalent described in the video but for Win10? Is Win 10 still supported by MS?

CS, Andy

You shouldn't need to reinstall anything. This laptop (Lenovo x220 which I purchased about 8 or 9 years ago) is now running Win11 23H2 originally had Win7 Pro and has had updates to Win10, Win11 22H2 and now 11 23H2 and I have never needed to reinstall software, you select "keep apps and documents" when updating the os.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have an old laptop running win10 with better specs than my new win11 laptop, it works (as in turns on and does what it's supposed to within reason) just have to hook up a USB keyboard to it and repair the screen as there is an off-centered bright pink line going vertically down that old screen. 

Oddly enough the new laptop I have is unable to play over half the game the old one did (was told otherwise given it's a windows 11 with UHD 605 graphics) and can only play games older than 2006. If I were to play games like Fortnite or Warframe, I would lag horribly on LOW GRAPHICS and be unable to see 2 feet in front of me to be able to play properly. Playing online would not even be an option for me because of how badly I would lag. If I were to play Roblox or a creative mode game on Fortnite (like private servers) I have zero issues playing and able to have the graphics up a bit more. Heck I can't even play Fortnite on the laptop itself, only through the Amazon Luna browser considering my Prime membership is up to date (which by the 20th won't be available either). 

The old laptop is an HP Probook 6560b with an intel core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz 16GB of installed ram, 64 bit operating system, AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics, that had Windows 10 home installed Feb 21, 2024 , whereas my win11 is an Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N5030 CPU @ 1.10GHz, 1101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), VivoBook Asus Laptop X50MA, x64 based PC, with Intel UHD 605 graphics. 

When I go into my updates on the old laptop, it says that it doesn't meet the MINIMUM system requirements for running windows 11, yet the specs on that one is WAY BETTER than the new laptop I got that came with windows 11. How's that even possible? Wouldn't mind playing the games I used to play with friends online again, but this new laptop won't handle it, and after about a year of quickly getting used to windows 11, going back to 10 would be a brainfvck for me. Like according to CanYouRunIt, I am able to only run 21 of 100 most popular games on this laptop, yet I click to see all and there is only 10 in the minimum column, mostly games I've already played or have zero interest in playing. 

I also don't understand how there is a no sign in front of being able to play Fortnite as a whole, but a checkmark beside the Fortnite: Battle Royale game as they r the EXACT SAME THING and if I am able to run one part of the game, I SHOULD be able to run it as a whole. Just sucks as the only games I am able to play r old games from 2006 or earlier, as I have ZERO issues playing Dungeons and Dragons Online in a full server without lag on beautiful graphics, as well as those Hidden Object Mystery games where u look for things in certain areas for items needed for the main rooms, the odd pipe or marble puzzle and even talking to the people with actual voice acting. I was honestly lied to when I was told this ASUS was a good gaming computer. Wish I could swap processors and graphics cards with my old laptop. Those parts still work no problem. Then this would be a way better Windows 11, and I wouldn't have to deal with getting my old one repaired and use a USB keyboard and mouse for it. I was lucky enough to get a deal off a family friend for this laptop, as they knew being on a fixed disability income is tough, and makes needs like those harder to get ahold of.

The old one was bought from a pawn shop and looked like it was used more than this one was. The touchpad for it is even slow and unable to recognize touch, whereas this one has no issues, I just keep it off as I use a bluetooth/USB wireless mouse, but the fingerprint lock still works despite being a part of the touchpad which makes me happy, as I have no issues logging in with that over a PIN.

Is there anything I can do to make my current laptop better, or update the old one without paying the equivalent of my internet bill (or a brand new same laptop) on getting the screen fixed? There r other issues with it, just I have ways to deal with those on my own, and don't need the one fixing the screen pointing them all out and telling me how this is bad to have and that is wrong to do, wanting to upcharge me. 

Just sucks if the other laptop was better (in the sense it was able to use the wifi, bluetooth, Miracast, keyboard and touchpad without issues, as well as no bright pink line off center down the screen, and able to use win11), I wouldn't have had to get this laptop at all, only to find out once I got it (asked about specs, got a bunch of "its a great asus gaming computer as well as for work or school! I've played [Names of different older and newer games] so u should't have any issues!" crap and nothing more) had to find out myself that it was S#%$ gaming unless I wish to either play ALONE on semi-decent graphics, ONLINE with super crappy graphics letting others down, or in a PRIVATE server with me and one other person in the same room as I am physically and we using the same modem yet I still slightly lag for some reason while they do not, I'm on wifi they use ethernet (as this new laptop does NOT have an ethernet port, but the old one lacks wifi and HAS a working ethernet port) unless I drop the graphics to crappy low. 

The i7 13700, 128Gb RAM, 4070ti I bought a year ago has been flawless. Processing my photos is lightning fast.

The only issue is the 'jerkiness' of UT2004. It's not a problem with the PC but with modern graphics drivers. My old PC, which I had for five years, and which also ran W11, played it perfectly.

I suppose you can't expect a 20 year old game to go on forever. Though I'm tempted to set up my old PC just to play it!

• Like 1