Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LDN1089 in Cepheus - two versions

gorann

This is a rather rarely imaged area in the busy Cephus that I imaged two nights ago with my dual-RASA8 rig. I ended up with a version with rather brownish dust that I quite liked, Then when I had a look  at Astrobin for other images of the area, I found a striking variation in the colour of the dust. With a few tweaks of the curves of the three colour channels, I could get also a rather nice bluish shine on the dust.

So, now I am confused about which one is more pleasing. Any opinion is much appreciated! Astroprocessing is clearly very arbitrary,

Camera was ASI2600MC without filter. 183 x 3 minutes. Praoessed in PI and PS.

20230225 LDN1089 RASA1+2 PS6smallSign.jpg

20230225 LDN1089 RASA1+2 NyPS10smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 11

Hi. 

It's interesting problem that I'm also involved in. I discuss with my friend whether nice colours are better or true colours. For me personally, astrophotography is a kind of art, so we should be free in the colour pallet, but is there any range of reasonable colours? I.e., I'm not a fan of pinkish Ha red, so I like to move towards a colour of sand. Am I wrong? 

I like the gray version of your work, details are better visible. 

😊

Edited by Vroobel

Lovely Images again Gorann! 

I’m torn, 

I think the dust is more obvious and dramatic in v1 but v2 has a more ethereal quality 

I’m afraid I can’t choose at the moment, sorry, They are both equally worthy 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

7 hours ago, carastro said:

They are both good but my preference is the 2nd one. 

6 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Hi. 

It's interesting problem that I'm also involved in. I discuss with my friend whether nice colours are better or true colours. For me personally, astrophotography is a kind of art, so we should be free in the colour pallet, but is there any range of reasonable colours? I.e., I'm not a fan of pinkish Ha red, so I like to move towards a colour of sand. Am I wrong? 

I like the gray version of your work, details are better visible. 

😊

4 hours ago, assouptro said:

Lovely Images again Gorann! 

I’m torn, 

I think the dust is more obvious and dramatic in v1 but v2 has a more ethereal quality 

I’m afraid I can’t choose at the moment, sorry, They are both equally worthy 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

5 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

Both are super images but i do prefer the second, the blue grey shading to the browns gives more sense of depth.

Thank you all! The vote appears to lean for version B. I think I may agree. More dynamic, making the nebulosity stand out a bit more.