Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear outside app

Use it only as a guide. Then use the metoffice weather map as a more accurate guide, check rainfall and the cloud map. Check frequently, this process usually works well. If imaging don't bother starting unless there's at least 3 hours clear cloud showing on the map. Anything showing as hit and miss within one or two hours usually means your session will be broken by cloud.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For myself, I usually go with the green is clear enough for imaging, orange is clear enough for observing, assuming they are long stretches.

High cloud can be an issue with the app in my experience.  You can have fairly continuous but thin high cloud and can be pretty okay for observing in.

I don't generally sorry too much about the app unless it's a big band of green all night. But I've devolved into an astronomical scavenger, running out of the house whilst the chips cook because it is currently clear.

• Like 3

I use three resources + popplng out regularly to see what it looks like! 

1) Met office cloud cover map:  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/cloud-cover-map#?bbox=[[42.74701217318067,-35.63964843750001],[63.7630651860291,27.641601562500004]]&model=ukmo-ukv&layer=cloud-amount-total

This gives a guide to what kind of transparency is likely and I find quite accurate, though not infallible, over a 12 hour or so period. 

2) UK Jetstream forecast:  https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

This gives a steer as to how still or otherwise the upper atmosphere is likely to be and helps steer what kind of targets might be best. 

3) Clear Outside, seems a bit flaky but I do find it useful for an early heads up on which nights are likely to be best if planning a session that involves getting in the car. 

All that said, I've had nights when all the forecasts look good and ended up with wall to wall murk and others where I hadn't planned to observe based on the forescast that suddenly turn out to be pristine, all part of the fun.   :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Clear outside shouldnt be your only tool to check weather if you want to have a better guess on weather. Also shouldnt be used to check more than a couple of hours ahead because its not a fortune telling service. Check "good to stargaze" (app) too, and on top of that check a few normal forecast services and draw a conclusion from what all of those have to say.

Sometimes they all disagree and none are right. Sometimes they also get current and previous weather wrong, have imaged many times under "100% cloud" when in fact there where hardly any. Best just open a window and see the weather yourself, seems to work best.

• Like 2

The clear outside app never really worked for me, it was wrong way more then it was right.  I just use Accu Weather and which gives some cloud cover information. 

Always had mixed results with clear outside.  I check it, but only ever in conjunction with another couple of sites.  Meteoblue is another option that is normally pretty accurate for me.  Also includes jet stream data which is useful.  https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/outdoorsports/seeing

@SuburbanMak Thanks for that cloud cover link.  That one's going into my bookmarks👍

Edited by TheycallmeRiver
  • Like 2

I find Clear outside quite helpful and reasonably accurate but I am under skies that are often clear anyway (in Turkey). I particular like the wind forecast as it is fairly windy here and I need to know when the wind is also cooperative.

Go ahead and use it as a rough guide. Often there are pleasant surprises! 

• Like 1

I find it to be Ok for short-term prediction (like any weather forecast), and good on the extremes (very clear or very cloudy). The in-between are a bit of a hit and miss for me, based on the south of the Netherlands.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Have a look here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/376745-a-record-of-the-accuracy-of-my-local-cloud-forecasts/

I have 5 or 6 that I consult. Actually, it helps to have an odd number, because they usually disagree, and you'd then have a majority decision.

Wow, thanks. That post was very informative and the OP must have dedicated some serious time to that research!

I think the general message I'm getting is to use a few. I'm still using clear outside alongside the met office and of course I keep looking outside lol.

• Like 1

Last night, Clear Outside told me there would be 0% cloud cover from around 6pm until at least 3am. I went outside around 6pm, rolled the lid off the shed and connected everything up to my laptop secure in the knowledge I'd get an hour on the comet and 3 or 4 hours on the Christmas tree cluster. Right up till midnight ClearOutside was telling me there was no cloud and right up till midnight, there was zero visibility in the sky.  Other contributors to the astronomy scotland facebook page had exactly the same experience. Clear Outside? Nope ! 

Graeme

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took up astronomy in December when I got a telescope for Christmas. 

I live in Derbyshire, UK and have had about a half dozen clear nights since then.

I'm thinking that the UK is not the best place on earth for astronomy or astrophotography. 

Oh, and Clear Outside seems pretty close to what I normally get...sometimes it shows a lot of high cloud (100%) and it's totally clear out...but that's it,..

41 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

You may not be able to actually see the high cloud but if it is there it'll reduce the number of stars that you can see.

Slowly came to this realisation over the winter.  It's worth a go as sometimes it's not too bad.  Other times it's worse that having thick clouds!  

9 hours ago, Veloman said:

FLO put stickers on my orders which say "May Include Clouds". Is it possible to order things without clouds??

Rob

You can order things with "may include snow' too if you'd prefer.

• 2 weeks later...