Narrowband

Which would be better

Hi Everyone 

Looking at purchasing my first telescope 

I have looked through the posts to get help my self but still a little confused .

My budget is 500.00 pounds 

Will be looking at planets and also DSO objects , I live in a moderate light polluted area , but also have a SUV so no problems in getting to darker areas .. There is also 2 of us that being partner so size is not really a issue .

I torn between the stellalyra 8" dob and the bressier version of the dob ..

Any others that I'm maybe missing or perhaps recommending ..

Thanks for reading 

• Like 2

An 8" dob is a good choice as a starter scope, and quite probably to keep.
I have owned various newtonian scopes in this sort of size for almost 20 years.

I leave it to others to discuss the minor differences between the scopes you mention.

And...Welcome to SGL

Keep asking the questions and enjoy the journey.

David.

Both good choice for a starter into visual - it’s personal choice both will give your decent light grasp and the same experiences visually, in terms of brand it’s personal choice, I personally like Bresser they are well made scope but doesn’t mean it’s a better one. Optically the same , for me it come down to price, weight and accessories 👍🏼

The Stellalyra looks like the better package to me- dual speed focuser and 9x50 right angled/correct image finder add more value to the package than the tube rings/bearings and solar filter add to the Bresser offering.

Also the Stellalyra is a little cheaper (than the Bresser (£449 vs £470 on the FLO website at least)…Optically as others have said I’d expect them to perform similarly - so the SL would definitely get my vote.

Edited by catburglar
Corrected price comparison
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, catburglar said:

Also the Stellalyra is significantly cheaper (than the Bresser (£449 vs £687 on the FLO website at least)…Optically as others have said I’d expect them to perform similarly - so the SL would definitely get my vote.

I think £687 is the price of the 10" Bresser not the 8" that the OP is looking at. The 8" is £470 so not that much difference in price.

3 hours ago, micah_bro said:

Hi Everyone 

Looking at purchasing my first telescope 

I have looked through the posts to get help my self but still a little confused .

My budget is 500.00 pounds 

Will be looking at planets and also DSO objects , I live in a moderate light polluted area , but also have a SUV so no problems in getting to darker areas .. There is also 2 of us that being partner so size is not really a issue .

I torn between the stellalyra 8" dob and the bressier version of the dob ..

Any others that I'm maybe missing or perhaps recommending ..

Thanks for reading 

They are both excellent choices, but I would go for the StellarLyra.   I've had the Bressier, a great scope but it is VERY heavy.  Optics wise, I doubt you'd notice any difference.

I have the 10" version of the Stella Lyra and although I can't comment on the Bresser, I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've read comments elsewhere on SGL that the altitude bearings are nicer on the Bresser; mine aren't perfect, but they're good enough for me. The dual-speed focuser is very useful and the Stella Lyra also has a cooling fan as standard. I think 8" is a great size for a starter scope, but bear in mind they are a big object to store. I'm sure either would be a good choice.

Good choice. I have the 12" version and it's a fabulous scope. Even more so when you look at the price.

8" is a good size where you can do serious astronomy. It will last many years without running out of things to see.

• Like 1

Personally ive never git on with the Dob design or the manual push and nudge design but they are very popular and light buckets which is what you need for visual of deep space and distance objects if that’s your thing both good brands also but in this design I’d opt for the Stella 👍🏼

21 minutes ago, micah_bro said:

20230206_140200.thumb.jpg.d5db06a1b00b1aa4b0c610d4fc5315cd.jpg20230206_140022.thumb.jpg.573fb88f2f20245c305e85d35bb7c878.jpg

You may need to use the 35mm extension piece with the 30mm 2” SuperView eyepiece to achieve focus. Either that or simply pull the eyepiece out several mm. I have owned the 8” version of the Stella Lyra dobsonian and it provides great views. I have now progressed onto the 12” version. Great choice, congratulations.