Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've just published two astronomy books!

kev100

Hi,

First of all, I've already checked with the admins about whether it's okay to post this (Grant said yes). But yes, I've just published two astro books(!): A decade in stargazing and Demystifying visual astronomy (details here). The latter is squarely aimed at absolute beginners, but A decade in stargazing will, I reckon/hope, have something for everyone. They're currently only available from Amazon (paperback, hardback and Kindle editions), but I'm told that soon they'll be available from book retailers (if not actually in stock then available to order).

spacer.png    spacer.png

Cheers!

Kev

PXL_20230126_184248689.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230126_184656555.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_194150393.MP.jpg

Edited by kev100
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Well done Kevin.  I love the feeling you get when you see your work in print, and that was just a few articles in a national magazine, I bet its ten fold to see your work in a stack of books...  Was this self funded or through a publisher ?

Hi Malcolm, I published them both through Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing thing ... though I did all the research, writing, layout and design myself. Compared to only a few years ago, the production quality has improved massively, and with the 'Extended distribution' option, the books are made available to US and UK book wholesalers. As for how it feels ... i've never been so anxious/terrified in all my life - fearing the worst reviews, etc, though feedback has been positive so far ...

Kev

• Like 1

Congratulations, well done. 

Best I ever did was create a book of my images up to 2018 more as a way of preserving them.  Didn't publish it though, just for family and friends.  Working on book 2 now.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, carastro said:

Congratulations, well done. 

Best I ever did was create a book of my images up to 2018 more as a way of preserving them.  Didn't publish it though, just for family and friends.  Working on book 2 now.

Carole 

Do look at Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing... Doesn't cost anything to set up, and author copies are at cost price 👍

1 hour ago, kev100 said:

Do look at Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing... Doesn't cost anything to set up, and author copies are at cost price 👍

Don’t you have to pay for an ISBN code. that would have doubled my printing costs.
But l decided “who would want to buy a book of images from an unknown astrophotographer”. 

Sold a few to friends which helped with the printing costs. 

carole

Edited by carastro

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Don’t you have to pay for an ISBN code. that would have doubled my printing costs.
But l decided “who would want to buy a book of images from an unknown astrophotographer”. 

Sold a few to friends which helped with the printing costs. 

carole

Hiya, there's no up front cost 🙂

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 05:09, kev100 said:

The anxious wait for feedback continues 🫣

Hi! I just had to mention that I’m on page 30 of your book so far and I’m really enjoying it. It’s as though I were your guest being taken on a journey through so many wonders set against these constellations, I have to agree with your thoughts on the owl cluster, in particular, it is often the highlight of my nights as I too was struck by its glowing eyes when I first saw it. One thing I really appreciate is your bringing to my attention a whole new class of object which I hadn’t even thought of, I will clarify and elaborate when I finish your fascinating book and write my full review, thank you!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Hi! I just had to mention that I’m on page 30 of your book so far and I’m really enjoying it. It’s as though I were your guest being taken on a journey through so many wonders set against these constellations, I have to agree with your thoughts on the owl cluster, in particular, it is often the highlight of my nights as I too was struck by its glowing eyes when I first saw it. One thing I really appreciate is your bringing to my attention a whole new class of object which I hadn’t even thought of, I will clarify and elaborate when I finish your fascinating book and write my full review, thank you!

So glad you’re enjoying it, and can’t wait for more 🙂

• Like 1