SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WO Game Changing Astrograph?

Sunshine

Did I interpret correctly, that this WIFD moves the main objective lens cell, rather than the camera in a standard scope? At least that is what i saw on the schematic move representation.

Thinking about it, its a good attempt to stabilize mechanicals like a camera lens, but I wonder how the objective movement is guided to parallelism, since similar considerations were always important for drawtubes in classic focusers...

Edited by GalaxyGael

Interesting. I like this WIFD development, very clever solution to a genuine problem with focusers. The 7 element 111mm will be their version of the TS and Tecnosky flatfield 110 mm f/4.8 scopes. The tecnosky is the 7 element design, with front collimatable cell, and same overall construction as the TS CF APO (blue and white) and the tecnosky owl series, but at >3700 EUR. WO version with the WIFD in that scope I'll bet (with WO premium costing as usual) will be north of 4300 EUR.

• 4 weeks later...

Advantage with this design no stress on focuser . BuT as it as been said what's wrong with the normal focuser. I have two W O scopes a 103 and a 81mm and I have never had any issues with the focuser. I will wait for review results.

Depends on your imaging equipment. Its supposed to eliminate tilt, my Z61 struggles a little with the weight of my imaging train (you can feel it when doing fine focus adjustment), I'm sure it introduces tilt but I don't pay attention to it much.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

These look very nice and I had considered swapping out my GT71 for something with a focuser with no droop, however Blur Exterminator  @$99 fixes all your telescopes in one hit..  

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Very poor on full frame, and even APC-S was not perfect, he did not really zoom in that tightly about 1:1 which is not really a zoom at all, should have been more like 3:1 for a good view of the corner stars,  and for a scope like this that advertises full frame coverage, you would expect perfection on APS-C at least…🤔

Looks like some trial and error required with backspacing. 

These are expensive and there's a premium being charged on the design, and name.  WO subcontract their scope designs so QC may vary. 

It's quire a complex 7 element assembly, is there any means of adjusting collimation? 

34 minutes ago, 900SL said:

adjusting collimation? 

I'd be surprised it can due to some of the glass maybe being on the internal moving WIFD part.

Had similar issues with corner stars on full frame with my scope. 
Troubleshooting was cumbersome and took forever given my limited availability, clear nights for last six months.
Adding individual 1mm, 0.5mm and / or 0.3 mm rings (refers to unscrewing the camera adding ring and reattaching the camera), refocusing (on full frame), adding more rings, overshooting, correcting, overcorrecting. Add freezing temps and loosing clear nights on this just adds to the overall frustration. 
I bought Precise Tuning M54 Artesky Ring

artesky-art8332-m54-precise-tuning-ring-1000.jpg

Unfortunately, it rotated field of view so it was hard to make like for like comparison without spending even more time on rotating the focuser. But then light at the end of the tunnel just as I wanted to give up...

M54/M48 Backfocus Adjuster-Jiaxing Sharpstar Optical Instrument Co., Ltd. (sharpstar-optics.com)

askarbackfocusadjuster.png.cc8e2a35dc1deb9894c02241383fbb9d.png

Askar Backfocus Adjuster | First Light Optics

I can confirm that it works great! Got it sorted 90% in half an hour... Then clouds rolled in...

IMG_20240304_140538.thumb.jpg.ce431d8edf24cd2672c427f29c1eca9e.jpg

IMG_20240304_140441.thumb.jpg.972a6852f02cd6b688b4202aa9f8f41d.jpg

Went from this:
image.png.dd508e674271bada779792ef49b356af.png

To this:
image.png.c5c8f54ced7d6344023c7ba347ffbb9e.png

As mentioned still some fine adjustments to be done, but much better and so much faster.

Edited by Dark Raven
  • Like 2

Haven't used mine yet and I've had it since launch. For the reasons you've outlined, its actual use is better as a tool to get the exact BF distance, much better than building and stripping the camera on and off constantly.