Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 40 first light.

tico

Hello,
I just bought a Lunt 40 b600, I used a Baader IV 8-24mm zoom, I had to take the diagonal out a bit to be able to focus, with good results, good images, when the atmosphere stabilized I would say spectacular, a lot of activity in bumps though at high magnification the image softened a bit. , more difficult to see details on the disk although I could see a couple of "snakes" meandering very spectacular..
I have noticed the helical focuser is a bit hard, turning it moves the rest a bit, let's go diagonally, I have to hold this so that it doesn't rotate... I imagine that the standard focuser could be changed for a better one?
I would also like to ask you about a fixed focal eyepiece with good optical quality, without blackouts... with the Baader zoom I sometimes notice that it is difficult for me to position my eye for comfortable observation.
And one last thing, do you know any method to shade the eyes? Is there any accessory?
Tomorrow I will try to try the binoviewer to see if I can focus...
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Tico

• Like 1

I just bought the LS50 model but my 40mm was an excellent scope as well and now you can double stack it in the future if you take a notion, Lunt is putting out a module. You won't be disappointed. with that scope. Under some light conditions you can enhance the contrast using either a variable polarizing filter or a # 56-58 green filter. Here is pic of my 40, that dedicated solar tracker mount is the best. Clear Skies and enjoy !68717CD9-55F2-468C-B5C7-FDA871656329.thumb.jpeg.c6852c8096003d157bd483832b7313b0.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Under some light conditions you can enhance the contrast using either a variable polarizing filter or a # 56-58 green filter.

Are you suggesting a green filter for H-alpha?  Red and green make black.
The Solar Continuum removes all light from an H-alpha telescope.

5 hours ago, Rusted said:

Are you suggesting a green filter for H-alpha?  Red and green make black.
The Solar Continuum removes all light from an H-alpha telescope.

Give it a try at using a 20-18mm ep, not as good as with WL but sometimes it works same as the variable polarizer. Can't hurt to try it.

2 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Give it a try at using a 20-18mm ep, not as good as with WL but sometimes it works same as the variable polarizer. Can't hurt to try it.

I once left my Solar Continuum green filter in place on the camera nose for H-a after changing over from white light.

The screen was completely black! A polariser/polarizer is not the same at all. I have one permanently on my Lacerta 2" wedge.

12 hours ago, Rusted said:

I once left my Solar Continuum green filter in place on the camera nose for H-a after changing over from white light.

The screen was completely black! A polariser/polarizer is not the same at all. I have one permanently on my Lacerta 2" wedge.

That may be so but not with a no. 56-58 green filter at lower powers. With any of my solar scopes.

Edited by LDW1

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

That may be so but not with a no. 56-58 green filter at lower powers. With any of my solar scopes.

Interesting. I shall investigate further. :wink2:

I wonder if this"low power" requirement is due to a lack of light [in H-a] in smaller instruments?

I purchased a Lunt 40 Ha last November and had an issue with the helical focuser, its didnt focus.
Was replaced under warranty, the new one is very nice.

What I have done is add a Baader ultra short t2 to 1.25" EP adaptor and one 5mm parfocalising ring to get the focus much easier,
this uses less of the helicla length and keeps things more solid.

As it was…

762BE65B-DD45-4735-869C-4EAAC80DF64D.thumb.jpeg.1a637eb6ad61245cf082a555923cd4a0.jpeg

Image wise, its a nice but small as expected image, lots of detail when the scope is focused correctly and the tilt is set,
takes a while to get used to how this works, but the detail on my one is very good.

With the adaptor and ring fitted..

9DFD65D6-33AD-4F1B-AB84-CD2DA785EA75.thumb.jpeg.4b79030df54e96ca416b51e8706cd91e.jpeg

I use a Japan Made Vixen zoom on this scope as was suggested to me and it works very well indeed.

Very impressed with this scope to date.

The Badder item I used…

A29CA1AA-803A-4384-AB71-94FC75FADD5B.thumb.jpeg.ae34e8d261152b27b0f87f5aeb81ff8f.jpeg

Oh and no filters added in, the inage is very good as it is.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello,
Thanks for comment...
After some use, the focuser has softened somewhat, I suppose another would have been better.
To focus with my Baader IV zoom, I take out the diagonal a bit... no problem, although there may be some other accessory method that avoids it.
The images are spectacular, although not too big..,
How would a Lunt 40 DS work? maybe with time we will find out..!!
The bulges are well visible, details also appear on the disc, if the dial is tuned they are obvious...Uff the DS must be the bomb!!!
One day with a stable atmosphere I was able to use the 8mm zoom with good results.
How would an eyepiece with fixed focal length and 72° field work?
By the way, how is that Solar Finder mount going?
For now I use it with a photographic tripod with good results, good follow-up to this magnification.
Best regards
Tico.

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

I purchased a Lunt 40 Ha last November and had an issue with the helical focuser, its didnt focus.

What I have done is add a Baader ultra short t2 to 1.25" EP adaptor and one 5mm parfocalising ring to get the focus much easier,

As it was…

762BE65B-DD45-4735-869C-4EAAC80DF64D.thumb.jpeg.1a637eb6ad61245cf082a555923cd4a0.jpeg

Image wise, its a nice but small as expected image, lots of detail when the scope is focused correctly and the tilt is set,
takes a while to get used to how this works, but the detail on my one is very good.

9DFD65D6-33AD-4F1B-AB84-CD2DA785EA75.thumb.jpeg.4b79030df54e96ca416b51e8706cd91e.jpeg

I use a Japan Made Vixen zoom on this scope as was suggested to me and it works very well indeed.

The Badder item I used…

A29CA1AA-803A-4384-AB71-94FC75FADD5B.thumb.jpeg.ae34e8d261152b27b0f87f5aeb81ff8f.jpeg

Its a know fact by many 40mm owners that in order to get proper focus you have to draw the diagonal out of the focuser by about 1/2", then no problem with focus.

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Its a know fact by many 40mm owners that in order to get proper focus you have to draw the diagonal out of the focuser by about 1/2", then no problem with focus.

Indeed they do, but why not make it so the diagonal / blocking filter is better supported?
That's what I have done and then focus adjustment is minimal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

As it was…

The Badder item I used…

Looks great Alan. I had to send my old Lunt 50 back to Bresser in Germany to sort the helical focuser, which had jammed tight. I think the quality has improved since then. But one option - to avoid using the stock focuser too much - might be to use a Baader clicklock 1.25”with fine focusing diopter adjustment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Indeed they do, but why not make it so the diagonal / blocking filter is better supported?
That's what I have done and then focus adjustment is minimal.

I did, I took the glass out of colored filter that I never used, screwed the housing on to the end of the diagonal and that gave me a perfect extension, works perfectly.

• Like 2

I can't believe some have so much problems / issues with helical focusers ?   The several that I own work great once you get to know their workings but then again many want perfect but don't want to pay the cost, lol ! Nothing changes, lol !

Edited by LDW1

47 minutes ago, Alan White said:

My helical out of the box didnt work, it was broken on arrival, so I was unlucky.
I have experienced far finer engineered helical focusers and they are superb.
As you say, you get what you pay for.

You can get bad in the best,  always has been, always will be. We aren't talking rocket science or a voyage to the moon when we are out viewing, nite or day, just everday astronomy gear. For some, if you want a crayford attached its $300 more, wait till they are available, all cares and woes will be gone, lol. In my case I will just keep using my helicals.   PS:  I must be bored with all these clouds nite or day and the severe fridgid temps ie -35°.