Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2024 Scotland's Spring Galloway Premier Star Camp.

Physopto

Hi Everyone!

Just a short notice.

Whilst I will always try give up to a years notice of the next Star Camp dates, this time:

I am awaiting the outcome of this next star camp to see how it goes, as it is set for this February as opposed to the March as before.

If it goes well and hopefully it does, we will be changing to February in the future.

It is a wait and see situation at present.

If it does work out better for us all, then I will publish the next dates ASAP.

Both dates in 2025 will be set during the following few weeks after the 2024 February Star Party.

Please pass on this info to others you may talk to.

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas and New Year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grimly said:

I have just booked, this will be my first star camp and I am really looking forward to it.

Be nice to see another new face at the Star Party.

I am sure you will enjoy it. Meeting all the other members of the stargazing community that attend hopefully will prove be good experience.

Just remember lots of warm clothing and if in a tent be sure to make sure it is an all weather type and strong enough to withstand the worst weather.

Hopefully it will not come to that , but we must be prepared anyway.

Glad you are going to give it a try.

12 hours ago, Grimly said:

I have just booked, this will be my first star camp and I am really looking forward to it.

Its my first star camp too, really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Its the first time I'll have been camping in over 20 years... nothing I've jumping in at the deep end.

Not long now 👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just over two weeks to go.

Mods to the utility tent have been the priority. Large tent pegs for the guy lines and extra peg loops on the tent bottom.

Counting down. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Mods to the utility tent have been the priority. Large tent pegs for the guy lines and extra peg loops on the tent bottom.

Counting down. 

Looking forward to it, hope the mods keep the water out this time.

Fingers crossed these storms blow out and we get a week of calm clear skies.

See you there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mapstar said:

Counting down. 

Its my first time going to a star camp (and my first time camping in a little over 20 years...) to show my naivety... what is a "utility tent" and why does one need one?? 

3 hours ago, Lucas M said:

Its my first time going to a star camp

Don't worry, we'll have the initiation bat at the ready 🤣

3 hours ago, Lucas M said:

what is a "utility tent"

Damien brings The Hubble's twin sister and uses a tent for storing it through bad weather etc, he sleeps in his van.

See you there 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2024 at 16:33, LandyJon said:

Damien brings The Hubble's twin sister and uses a tent for storing it through bad weather etc, he sleeps in his van.

LOL Thanks, probably not something I need to worry about with my little RedCat51 then 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2024 at 16:33, LandyJon said:

Don't worry, we'll have the initiation bat at the ready 🤣

See you there 🙂

Amazing realy. Might be expected to have been the other way around realy!

Scope in van and the Damo in utility tent, knowing the work sweat and tears that
 were put in to ' Hubbles Twin '🤣

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This time next week I'll be hopefully all packed and ready for the off in the morning. 

Can't come soon enough and looking forward to being back up there milling about the campsite 😁

• Like 3

Bad news for me.

I came down the stairs this morning carrying a weight and something in my left knee went.

So at present can hardly walk let alone carry any thing.

I am almost certain that I will not be at the Star camp.

But If I do manage to get there,  it will be with no gear at all and towards the end.

I know from previous experience that walking on a field in this state will be near impossible.

Sorry folks.

On a seperate note:

I was also informed that Uplooker may not be there either as he has had some bad news.

I must appologise to any new attendees as I would have liked to meet them personaly to welcome them to the Star Camp.

I am sure that you, ( Damian and Jim ), can and will  make them welcome without my intervention   😊.

I spoke to Lesley this afternoon to let her know the state of things.

On a more personal note, a friend of mine has had a heart attack and I will need to see him.

So walk or not I will be across that way towards the end of the Star Camp come Hell or High Water ! 

I will try to see you all then if at all possible.

Wishing you all Clear Skies.

• Sad 5

Really sorry to hear you'll not make it for the party Derek and apologies for missing your call earlier. 

We'll try to do the greeting as well as you do Derek but they are big shoes to fill (especially your enthusiastic tent help)

Hope to see you and Annette later in the week, but if not We'll see you in the autumn .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Jon  and Damian.

I am gutted to miss the camp.

I spent quite some time sorting out the problrm with the computer that stopped me at the last camp. It was  failed update to a program I have used for years. Took a call to the computer seller to find out a way to get it to boot. Not the normal method as it is a special one for signage displays. So a bit of wasted effort almost. Still glad it was in the end a simple fix once I sussed the program that was causing it.

I will miss all you guys and the banter. ( errrr, OK whisky).

I will try to get over before the camp ends.

As for enthusiastic tent help, should I send an action plan for you to follow Damian.. 😂

Maybe in a glass fronted box with a wee hammer, signed " Break in an Emergency" 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hells bells, Derek, what rotten luck.  Dare I say 'join the dodgy leg club'?  At least my tendon injury is healing although still quite weak - I made the right decision not to come.   But with only a week to go it sounds as though you have no choice either - so sorry.  Best of luck with your recovery.  And also that of your friend if you get to see him.

Peter

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Peter,

Yup sods law. Thanks for your post. Funny I was thinking about you only a few days ago. Glad you are on the mend anyway.

I was looking forwards to the Star Camp, but not to be this time either. Last one my computer locked up because of a program malfunction. Something to be said for a pair of bins! No lecky 🤔

• Like 1

Hi troops, sorry I'm another non runner, work dictates I'm off shore then, stuck on a far away place hopefully I'll see some northern lights but who knows, hope the skies are kind and the Amber stuff flows, see ya all in the autumn

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Hi troops, sorry I'm another non runner, work dictates I'm off shore then, stuck on a far away place hopefully I'll see some northern lights but who knows, hope the skies are kind and the Amber stuff flows, see ya all in the autumn

This is starting to be a disaster this year !

Sorry you will not be there Jim.

I still will need to see how the weather pans out as it is the first February meeting for some years. It will be a shame for first time attendees to miss out on meeting our regular members.

Struggling at present still as leg not getting any better. But I still have some hope to meet up with those there if at all possible around the 10th/11th.

Good luck all.

Hi All,

I’m struggling too. My van’s got an issue with the domestic battery. Something’s blowing fuses in the B2B charger and they can’t seem to figure out what’s causing it! I may get it back in time, if I do I’ll be there but if not, see you in November. I’ll keep that bottle of malt I had for November!

I have advised Lesley that I may not make it.

Cheers,

John

Edited by John O
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Physopto said:

This is starting to be a disaster this year !

Sorry you will not be there Jim.

I still will need to see how the weather pans out as it is the first February meeting for some years. It will be a shame for first time attendees to miss out on meeting our regular members.

Struggling at present still as leg not getting any better. But I still have some hope to meet up with those there if at all possible around the 10th/11th.

Good luck all.

Sorry to hear Jim won't make it either.

As far as goes there is half a dozen still attending. I will be there no matter what. Just hoping for some clear skies

Hopefully we'll not need the luck but cheers Derek. 

• Like 2