Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The fox on the Moon

Nik271

Or maybe it's a dog?

I was observing briefly at 7am this morning. Very cold, but dry, there was some wave-like disturbance in the seeing occasionally but it was good in brief moments of stability. For example I could resolve the two largest craterlets of Catena Davy.

I was using my Skymax 127 and 8mm EP, so about x185 and was enjoying the view of Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus and Arzachel crater trio, when I spotted a fox face looking at me 🙂

It was made of shadows and light patches immediately west of Arzachel. This is the simulated view from svs.gsfc.nasa.gov:

dog.jpeg.addade8118fd50f5e9c42f9bc0599280.jpeg

It looked better in real life actually, seemed that the fox was staring at me and looking mischievous.

I checked my lunar maps and this area is dotted by small crater satellites to Parrot. It looks nothing like this in different illumination.

Quite happy to catch this 'fox' despite my freezing fingers afterwards. (A manual AZ mount has drawbacks in the cold, it does not need batteries but then hands cannot stay in pockets all the time...) 

If you want to check this out, look for the fox around the 21day old Moon.

Clear skies!

Nik

Edited by Nik271
corrected the location reference to Parrot
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, I got it too..

Extreme left of photo, right underneath the letters ALP of Alpetragius..you might need to zoom in to enlarge the image..😊

Nice capture, Nik271👍

Dave

They must be breeding up there! I can see some kind of canine just above the letters HE of Arzachel, though it looks more like Patch the dog than a fox.

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

They must be breeding up there! I can see some kind of canine just above the letters HE of Arzachel, though it looks more like Patch the dog than a fox.

Yes, this is the one I saw but at the scope it looked slightly different, it was facing me. The shadows probably change too fast to capture it in the simulated view on the hour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Yes, this is the one I saw but at the scope it looked slightly different, it was facing me. The shadows probably change too fast to capture it in the simulated view on the hour. 

Hmmm, the fox I saw was just above the Fa of Faye 🤔