Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dusty Cocoon - RASA/Starless and question about artefacts...

clarkpm4242

Like many I've been revisiting old data to exploit starless processing.

This is from 2 years ago.  The Cocoon rendered for the dust..!  May revisit with more data and flats.

40 x 120s lights.  RASA 8 and ASI2600 MC.  DSS and PS.  This is as far as I pushed it, you can see the chess/checkerboard artefacts appearing.  I've included an overdone starless version.

Does anyone know what causes this??

Thank you, Paul.

Cocoon 02 SGL.jpg

Cocoon 02 starless.jpg

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 6

Nice, I never knew there was so much dust around the Cocoon!

I think the checkerboard artefacts are a result of how the star removal software works. Other imagers have reported seeing them, but I have only seen them once with StarXTerminator when clearly something went horribly wrong with the processing…

6E05A347-41C6-4EC9-B960-4DE016B2EB4A.thumb.jpeg.5bafa4e782b1aad4f157fbb86ee84814.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomato said:

Nice, I never knew there was so much dust around the Cocoon!

I think the checkerboard artefacts are a result of how the star removal software works. Other imagers have reported seeing them, but I have only seen them once with StarXTerminator when clearly something went horribly wrong with the processing…

6E05A347-41C6-4EC9-B960-4DE016B2EB4A.thumb.jpeg.5bafa4e782b1aad4f157fbb86ee84814.jpeg

Bloody hell that center of frame has demons faces in it, if that came back at me I’d have thrown the lappy in the fire and called an exorcist 

• Haha 2