Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help Wanted With Arduino & Stepper Control

Coco

Hi

I am trying to control my Skytee via stepper motors using a joystick joystick, Ive found a handy YouTube video that controls 2 small stepper motors but
these will not be powerful enough, I’m looking to use Nema17 motors via a more powerful driver, just not sure what pins from Arduino to Stepper driver to plug into as in the image attached sketch.

Assuming I can replace the ‘ULN2003A ‘ controller with  ‘DM332T’ and power the new bigger driver directly with 12v and miss out the 5v power wires going to the  ULN2003A that is in the sketch.

Appreciate any help.

Regards
Guy

Digital-Stepper-Drive-1-0-3-2A-18-30VDC-for-Nema-17-23-Stepper-Motor-1000x1000.jpg

Untitled Sketch_bb.png

Just FYI, in above schematic - ground/GND also must be connected to Arduino, otherwise it might not work.

May I ask, why don't you use something simpler like DRV8825 and say raspberry pi pico as controller?

(that would be my choice of the top of the head for motorizing SkyTee2).

20 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Just FYI, in above schematic - ground/GND also must be connected to Arduino, otherwise it might not work.

May I ask, why don't you use something simpler like DRV8825 and say raspberry pi pico as controller?

(that would be my choice of the top of the head for motorizing SkyTee2).

I only thought about Arduino due to the fact I bought a starter kit 2 years ago and I found the YT video that got me interested 🙃

The ground wire from both drivers to the GND pin?  the Any chance of posting an image where the second driver connects, much appreciated for you help.

57 minutes ago, skybadger said:

That looks fine to me 

It is a bit more complex than that to get full range of speeds and adequate slew rates..

I used onstep to do this. You already have half of the required kit. I heartily recommend it. 

Looks like a project for the Dob :)  Thanks for the Onstep idea

10 minutes ago, Coco said:

The ground wire from both drivers to the GND pin?

Yes, ground needs to be shared between boards - it is "reference" thing and all boards must have the same reference.

Check out schematics you linked - there is black wire going from arduino to all other boards - joystick and both drivers.

13 minutes ago, Coco said:

the Any chance of posting an image where the second driver connects, much appreciated for you help.

Not sure if I can find one.

In any case, you define pins that you want to use for particular driver, so you have choice of pins on your board.

Arduino-Uno-Pin-Diagram.png

All those pins that are marked with cyanish blue (digital) can be used to command your stepper driver. In program you'll define which port number will do what (stepper1 dir, stepper1 step, stepper2 dir, stepper2 step).

So you can for example use, Pins 6 and 7 for one driver, and 8 and 9 for other

17 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, ground needs to be shared between boards - it is "reference" thing and all boards must have the same reference.

Check out schematics you linked - there is black wire going from arduino to all other boards - joystick and both drivers.

Not sure if I can find one.

In any case, you define pins that you want to use for particular driver, so you have choice of pins on your board.

Arduino-Uno-Pin-Diagram.png

All those pins that are marked with cyanish blue (digital) can be used to command your stepper driver. In program you'll define which port number will do what (stepper1 dir, stepper1 step, stepper2 dir, stepper2 step).

So you can for example use, Pins 6 and 7 for one driver, and 8 and 9 for other

Excellent, yes I can see it in the code :)

Thank you so much again its much appreciated.