NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anybody ever painted an OTA (successfully)?

jjohnson3803

Although not a professional I have resprayed many OTA's with a satisfactory finish.  A few tips, rub down any original gloss finish to give a matt keying finish for the new coat, use an appropriate primer, a quality can of top coat and follow the instructions, specially shaking the can sufficiently.  I have used large cardboard boxes as spray booths and hairdryers to gently warm the cans and items to be sprayed if cold weather.  Try a sacrificial item for a bit of practice.   Good luck!    🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same, Peter. I refurb'd my Tal-M not that long ago, full respray and it is possible to get a good, if not professional finish. Thing is to not try for a good deep coat in just a couple passes. Several light coats as per the destructions on the can is the way and avoids runs due to excess paint. It does help to warm the object too, I just laid the OTA or pillar tubes on the warm radiator for a while before starting to paint which worked a treat 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good advice given already.  It is true that preparation is everything, so yes rub down original finish, remove entirely if you can. Use a high build undercoat , grey primer from Halfords or similar would suffice. This gives a nice flat even surface on which to key the top coat. The high build types will fill in any minor shallow surface imperfections (scratches).  Then with the top coat as Dave suggested build it up over several coats, very light touch each time.  I would try to avoid a really high gloss finish if you can; these are bit tricky to get right, usually take intermediate sanding between coats. If you do warm the spray can, do so in tepid water bath only not direct heat and keep temperature warm not hot (be safe with pressurised cans).  Best advice is just leave the can to settle in at normal room temperature for a few hours.   Above all, don't be frightened of it, if it goes wrong, sand it back. You will be surprised just how well the matt primer makes the top coat look.   Post pictures before and after :)  Good luck.

High Build Primer

ps what colour you going for?

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously mask anything with tape or plastic which you don't want painted, spray paint gets everywhere if theres even a thought made of an airflow, make sure area is ventilated, a warm (but not damp) environment will also settle paint coats quicker.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1