Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Abell 347 & NGC 891 Then and Now

tomato

This is a ridiculously short 76 mins of integration of Abell 347 in Andromeda with NGC 891 up in the top RH corner. Captured with the Esprit 150/IMX571c/UVIR cut filter with a ~70-80% illuminated moon about 40 degrees away. I like the variety and number of galaxies in the FOV so will be adding to this hopefully on Friday night when the moon is not so intrusive.

Just out of interest I remember imaging this region almost exactly 5 years ago with my then newly purchased mono G2-8300. This image was captured with a 102mm APO with some 4.5 hrs of LRGB data.

So it's not a fair comparison I know, but the most striking thing for me is how star separation (with StarXterminator) has contributed to the processing of the OSC image. I wonder what we will have in another 5 year's time?

Thanks for looking.

Esprit 150/IMX571 OSC 76 mins

Image12_AP.thumb.jpg.679e6e2e03d9bd67c6504215a5b59cf9.jpg

Annotated Image

Image12_Annotated.thumb.jpg.84a5c7ea35f746e36099ee8ae6e52b78.jpg

Altair 102mmAPO/G2-8300 LRGB 270 mins

NGC891Abell347.jpg.92e7144c8ce63e570511d93fff3a4b65.thumb.jpg.828de9fd322a0a309df7afe470a927cd.jpg

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

This is a ridiculously short 76 mins of integration

There's not even a caveat about it being good for 76 minutes, it just looks really good.  Great detail with nice subtle colour and the galaxy cluster is a stand out.  Love the framing too.  Thanks for the annotation :) 

The difference in star control (capture ? + processing) is quite something looking at your older image.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

It's almost unbelievable what can be achieved now. How much of the difference would you put down to improved equipment and software and how much is due to increased skill?

The old image is rather like what I'd currently produce. The new version is so much more softer and natural.

I'd be happy with either!

Alas, I can only find two subs of each LRGB channel from 2017, so much for my archiving of data. It would have been an interesting exercise to put the data through my current workflow. The OSC IMX571 has ~90% QE vs ~50% for the mono KAF 8300, so that's a big difference and the OSC is on a scope with over twice the aperture area of the 102 mm APO which also helps a lot. 

• Like 1

OK, so this is well off topic but frustrated at not being able to find the original CCD data, I have found a set of similar vintage of NGC 7331 and Stephan's Quintet, around 2.5 hrs of data taken with the AA 102 mm APO/G2-8300 LRGB.

The first image is my 2018 processing effort and the second a quick run through using my current workflow using StarXterminator and NoiseXterminator. The noise and star reduction are not surprisingly the big differences.

NGC7331APPst.thumb.jpg.f877ff705fc4045c894f37ee447415e7.jpg

Image17.thumb.jpg.e95bfc2bbaa5cd20fe3752e614b9a4e2.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tomato said:

The first image is my 2018 processing effort and the second a quick run through using my current workflow using StarXterminator and NoiseXterminator. The noise and star reduction are not surprisingly the big differences.

In this case I prefer the image with lots of stars. 🙂 Puts things in perspective about what else is out there

I do like the new NGC891 and cluster pic.

I am still experimenting with Star/NoiseXterminator combo.  Usually duplicate the star layer (colour dodge blend) to get a greater star presence and haven't got the noise reduction balance sorted yet.  Sometimes its just too smooth...

...starless processing is a revolution, especially with the RASA 8!

Cheers, Paul.

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

In this case I prefer the image with lots of stars. 🙂 Puts things in perspective about what else is out there

Yes, I have overdone the star reduction a bit. I’d never post a starless image, it would be like fish without the chips.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As promised, after Friday night here is the 3.6 hr integration version. Is it worth the extra time? In my view yes, superficially it might not be much different but zoom in and there are plenty of galaxies on the edge of visibility coming through. It's worth one more decent session I reckon.

Image12v2.thumb.jpg.1f78a7aaa20c63bbf930524521d00941.jpg

• Like 3

And finally, the 7.7 hrs version. The extra integration has added a tiny bit more definition to some of the distant galaxies and there may be a hint of a tidal tail on one of them, but then again it may just be an iffy background. What was very frustrating was that the middle session comprising about 3 hrs of data was way better on FWHM values, it's a good job we need the atmosphere to breath because it is a total pain for galaxy imaging.

Image12v3AP.thumb.jpg.ec02f03303425a3584ded52fa8ae6388.jpg

Tidal tail on barred spiral?

Image12v3crop.jpg.4dfc417fbaa9712115b7cb7d62508531.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tomato said:

And finally, the 7.7 hrs version. The extra integration has added a tiny bit more definition to some of the distant galaxies and there may be a hint of a tidal tail on one of them, but then again it may just be an iffy background. What was very frustrating was that the middle session comprising about 3 hrs of data was way better on FWHM values, it's a good job we need the atmosphere to breath because it is a total pain for galaxy imaging.

Image12v3AP.thumb.jpg.ec02f03303425a3584ded52fa8ae6388.jpg

Tidal tail on barred spiral?

Image12v3crop.jpg.4dfc417fbaa9712115b7cb7d62508531.jpg

The improvement to the previous one is really apparent here, great stuff!

Some galaxies in this longer integration look clearly like spirals, when on the shorter one they might have been mistaken for ellipticals/lenticulars. Background really faint stuff has also started to come alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1