NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with double transit and GRS (26 October 2022)

Kon

I did not expect I would be able to capture the double transit from Europa and Ganymede as the winds were awful and jet stream on full blown. BUT surprisingly the captures were not bad and was ok to focus . First image is showing the double shadow and Ganymede; Europa is below the GRS. The second image is with the double shadow but with the two moons away from Jupiter. I quite like the mirror symmetry between the shadows and moons. Pretty happy with this result. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate.

Jupiter_2s.png.6bcb8d8a9b4361bbea0d1ea637ce096a.png  Jupiter_2s2m.png.51c6c3a518d4fc857032b8be6f1501a5.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Good catch. pulled a fair amount of detail out

Thanks. I was expecting a mushy capture as jet stream map was 'red' above me; the wind did not help with the Dob vibrating crazy.

59 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A fine capture, not very easy last night at all.

Thanks. Yes, the seeing was a lot better than I thought, the wind was the killer i think, and the shadows made it easy to get a focus.

Really nice capture and processing Kon. I missed this double transit as I was away from home in the Cotswolds since Saturday.. I got back home this afternoon, so hopefully will get some more imaging opportunities over the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Really nice capture and processing Kon. I missed this double transit as I was away from home in the Cotswolds since Saturday.. I got back home this afternoon, so hopefully will get some more imaging opportunities over the coming weeks.

Thanks. Not far from me then ... I am sure a similar event will happen again so you can capture it. I almost missed it as the weather was atrocious and I was in two minds. I am glad I got out. Looking forward to your captures.

• Like 1