NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 22nd October 2022

Kon

I was quite kin to try image Mars despite the thin passing clouds. 7am imaging is not bad for the body 🤣. Still very windy with the Dob vibrating but there were moments of momentary calmness. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. Resized 150%.  Wavelets were just touched in Autostakert, and a mild sharpening in Astrosurface. Happy for feedback on the image etc as I would like to improve on my Mars the same way it has helped me with my Jupiter.

image.png.9574f90a44c3fa42105b0017d34496f8.png

• Like 12

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

That's very good, the dark regions of Sinus Sabaeus and Sinus Meridiani are well seen to the left, with Syrtis Major to the right.

Thanks Geof. Quite pleased despite the conditions. I was not sure if I should have upped the saturation but in my eyes it did not look good anymore.

• Like 1

Its good. the problem i am finding ( something i know you will say exactly ) is by the time the detail starts really kicking in the edge gets far worse. back off on the edge problem, it goes soft

Dont know of any programs that do wavelets where you can draw around the edge and blend the sharpening where its needed. This of course can be done after wavelets. But would be better to do it. before you have caused the problem in the first place. I know i sent you that gimp tute. But i never use that. its far to much hassle. And i don't like how it still smooth's the image during blending. Though to be fair only tried it a few times and lost interest. 

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Its good. the problem i am finding ( something i know you will say exactly ) is by the time the detail starts really kicking in the edge gets far worse. back off on the edge problem, it goes soft

Dont know of any programs that do wavelets where you can draw around the edge and blend the sharpening where its needed. This of course can be done after wavelets. But would be better to do it. before you have caused the problem in the first place. I know i sent you that gimp tute. But i never use that. its far to much hassle. And i don't like how it still smooth's the image during blending. Though to be fair only tried it a few times and lost interest. 

es exactly, I could have pushed the wavelets a bit more but like you say, the edge gets awful. In this image I did not use the Gimp layers. I am ok with its workflow but by the time you blend the two layers it softens quite a lot. I wish we could draw a mask where we want a wavelet sharpening to happen. The softness on this image is from the clouds that I was shooting Mars through.