NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear Outside?

TheThing

Mine seems to be broken too 😄

And I got all excited last night when I was packing up after a short and unfruitful imaging session and noticed Orion starting to climb above the Eastern horizon... winter is coming 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheThing said:

Think there might be something wrong with my app cos it's showing wall to wall cloud for the next week! 🥴

I think FLO have decided to scrap the meteorology, and just link the CO forecasts directly to the "What did the postman bring?" thread.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, TheThing said:

Think there might be something wrong with my app cos it's showing wall to wall cloud for the next week! 🥴

On the contrary, I start to worry when my app shows clear skies in the evening!🥴😂.

Joking apart, I have found the Met Office weather app to be the most reliable..many of the online "weather apps" are junk, and completely unreliable..especially when they claim to be able to give you an accurate forecast for 14 days ahead!

My son in law works for the Met Office, so I know how seriously they take their forecasting..at a local level, despite all the technology of today, it's still remarkably difficult to forecast accurately local conditions for more than a day or two ahead.

If you don't already use an app, try it it, it's free and easy to use..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Duk.gov.metoffice.weather.android%26hl%3Den_US%26gl%3DUS%26referrer%3Dutm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dmet%2Boffice%2Buk%2Bweather%2Bapp%26pcampaignid%3DAPPU_1_-P5OY5b9Gd__7_UPi_mLkA4&ved=2ahUKEwiW2aiQwur6AhXf_7sIHYv8AuIQ5YQBegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw098HrUZQWqSYedj6QdnkUj

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

I find that I have to use several apps in order to get an idea of what’s going on. And getting a jet-stream forecast can be handy. For me this includes looking at weather charts.

For a simple forecast app the Met Office one is quite good for clouds. One reason is that, unlike a lot of apps, it’s regularly updated. But I don’t find it so useful for wind speed and direction. Granted, this isn’t so important for what we do. 

I'm another fan of the https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ forecast, if you click show full forecast once you've chosen your location and change the visibility from description to km it gives a not bad idea of how the seeing is going to be, above 30 usually means decent seeing for me. That said the weather has been absolute rubbish for what seems like 18 months, even when "clear" the seeing has not been that great which is a bit frustrating to say the least

On 18/10/2022 at 20:35, F15Rules said:

On the contrary, I start to worry when my app shows clear skies in the evening!🥴😂.

Joking apart, I have found the Met Office weather app to be the most reliable..many of the online "weather apps" are junk, and completely unreliable..especially when they claim to be able to give you an accurate forecast for 14 days ahead!

My son in law works for the Met Office, so I know how seriously they take their forecasting..at a local level, despite all the technology of today, it's still remarkably difficult to forecast accurately local conditions for more than a day or two ahead.

If you don't already use an app, try it it, it's free and easy to use..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Duk.gov.metoffice.weather.android%26hl%3Den_US%26gl%3DUS%26referrer%3Dutm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dmet%2Boffice%2Buk%2Bweather%2Bapp%26pcampaignid%3DAPPU_1_-P5OY5b9Gd__7_UPi_mLkA4&ved=2ahUKEwiW2aiQwur6AhXf_7sIHYv8AuIQ5YQBegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw098HrUZQWqSYedj6QdnkUj

Dave

Looks good apart from percentage cloud cover is not shown. I like to see this on a weather app. It's why I use XC weather as it shows an hourly percentage cloud cover.

yr.no has been pretty accurate for me here in the US - better than forecasts from the US National Weather Service actually.  The details tab on the forecast table page(s) shows total % cloud cover as well as high, low, and medium cloud.

Edited by jjohnson3803

On 18/10/2022 at 11:43, TheThing said:

Mine seems to be broken aswell, so I resorted to desperate measures. 

20221009_180601.thumb.jpg.e208c3ef9704fe4fdb7a4bc5677b3487.jpg

I think ill get some funny looks if i spread it around the garden, and some choice words from Mrs Enceladus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2