Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with GRS, Ganymede and Europa (9/10/22)

Kon

It seems that seeing was very weird last night. No jet stream but awful to get focus. This was my best 3 captures around 1230 UTC before it deteriorated completely. I think I have got some details on Ganymede in the third picture (I have also resized it in the 4th, 150%); Europa is appearing as a white dot on the surface (no shadow yet). Europa approaching for the transit but by the time the shadow was casting I could not get any focus at all. Are my whites ok, I seem to vary depending on the light (I think the adaptive lightness is messing me around). 8" Dob manual, asi462mc, 2.5xTV powermate.

image.png.c9615763c167b51199c6eeb19d394c0c.pngimage.png.451637ff1ff3b36fb6caba07bfad686a.png

image.png.eb06a33773a80986ebb4e017613390ae.pngimage.png.f81c3b45df3a9e760effa8d122ddedbd.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 15

Just now, happy-kat said:

I like the moon being included 

I was hoping to also capture the shadow as it was developing but the weather didn't play ball, but a nice bonus of the two moons.

13 hours ago, Kon said:

It seems that seeing was very weird last night. No jet stream but awful to get focus. This was my best 3 captures around 1230 UTC before it deteriorated completely. I think I have got some details on Ganymede in the third picture (I have also resized it in the 4th, 150%); Europa is appearing as a white dot on the surface (no shadow yet). Europa approaching for the transit but by the time the shadow was casting I could not get any focus at all. Are my whites ok, I seem to vary depending on the light (I think the adaptive lightness is messing me around). 8" Dob manual, asi462mc, 2.5xTV powermate.

image.png.c9615763c167b51199c6eeb19d394c0c.pngimage.png.451637ff1ff3b36fb6caba07bfad686a.png

image.png.eb06a33773a80986ebb4e017613390ae.pngimage.png.f81c3b45df3a9e760effa8d122ddedbd.png

I feel your pain keep hoping for a consistent sharp run. Instead of just moments during a capture. This night looked promising. But nope still atmospheric or thermal events going on for the entire duration. I see it wasn't just me then. I wonder if falling temperatures were the reason? affecting some locations more than others?  Despite all that some good detail Kon. I think your colours look good. Whites look good

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I feel your pain keep hoping for a consistent sharp run. Instead of just moments during a capture. This night looked promising. But nope still atmospheric or thermal events going on for the entire duration. I see it wasn't just me then. I wonder if falling temperatures were the reason? affecting some locations more than others?  Despite all that some good detail Kon. I think your colours look good. Whites look good

Thanks Neil (and for the feedback on the colour balance). I noticed that while the Moon was out the sky had a milky like appearance but no obvious clouds, so something was going on with transparency or at least make the atmosphere unstable. On the other hand, Mars was a lot easier to focus, I could even see the polar caps on the capture screen.

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice yes seems to be some surface details on Ganymede, great work with an 8” manual dob 

Thank you. I was very pleased to see it popping in registax even with mild wavelets. I am very pleased on how my Dob is performing, I never thought I could get such details (the upgrade to the asi462 has also helped).

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Very impressive images with a manual Dob!

Thanks. I seem to have got the handle of imaging with the manual Dob (and I am aware of my limitations in terms of quality), although I am looking into an EQ platform at some point.