Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 - William Optics FLT-91 First Light

peonic

First night out with my WO FLT-91.

Thought I'd start with something broadband - which in hindsight probably wasn't the best idea with an 80% moon, but hey-ho.

Couple of teething problems with cable management, but everything went relatively smoothly. The step up in build quality from my beloved little ED80 is huge - but it's going to take some work for me to get the best out of this beastie.

Very much looking forward to adding the flattener/reducer when FLO get the stock!

53x300s

WO FLT-91, EQ6R

533MC Pro / ZWO IR Cut filter

Stacked and processed in PixInsight

FITS attached if anyone wants to have a play and do a better job of the processing :D

masterLight_BIN_1_3008x3008_EXPOSURE_300_00s_FILTER_NoFilter_RGB_integration_DBE_V2.png

masterLight_BIN-1_3008x3008_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB.fit

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Great first light image... Not sure if you noticed but your stars at the edge are pointing in towards the center.. either you need a flatener or abit more spacing... 

Yeah, waiting for the flattener coming in they said 🙂

52 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Great first light image... Not sure if you noticed but your stars at the edge are pointing in towards the center.. either you need a flatener or abit more spacing... 

On backorder with FLO - hopefully shouldn't be too much longer before I get to spend nights obsessing over backspacing rather than RMS error :D

13 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Nice image.

Corrected (mostly) the slightly pointy stars with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS. 

Ooh, that's done a nice job, and it's not something I've used in PS before - is it a pain to use, or just a "run it on the default settings" kind of tool?

Chris

2 hours ago, peonic said:

looking forward to adding the flattener

Hi

Lovely shot. The amount of detail is superb. Love it.

Just a thought... With the 533, are you sure it's necessary to introduce more glass? The field is easily corrected in software.

1 minute ago, peonic said:

not something I've used in PS before - is it a pain to use

Don't know about ps but very easy in StarTools' lens module:

masterLight_BIN-1_3008x3008_1.thumb.jpg.df6241e9f7b3c8688ec90c9e64f142d9.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peonic said:

Ooh, that's done a nice job, and it's not something I've used in PS before - is it a pain to use, or just a "run it on the default settings" kind of tool?

Thanks!

Look in Filters.
It's a bit of a pain until you get a feel for where your going with it, but this is where I ended up.
Note it's on "Perspective" top right.

image.thumb.png.7ce303c7907ea6b1d6bf47a64afd471c.png

Beautiful first light with your new telescope! The colours look lovely and the framing is perfect. I'm surprised your star colours aren't blown out with 300s exposure time (the first time I used 300s with this camera on the rosette nebula resulted in all white stars). Did you use a lower gain than unity of 100?

Nice work!

Ok don't laugh....

Superstition won't let me use unity gain because I don't like even numbers. This is at gain 101.

I know. I'm not normal 🤣

Edited by peonic
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, peonic said:

Ok don't laugh....

Superstition won't let me use unity gain because I don't like even numbers. This is at gain 101.

I know. I'm not normal 🤣

Not laughing 

That must make your day to day life quite difficult at times 

Great image btw! 😊

Thanks for sharing, and “sharing” 

Bryan