Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

22mm eyepieces

I need a pair of 22mm eyepieces for my binoviewers but the only ones I can find are Naglers and they are too expensive.

I already have pairs of 20mm and 25mm Plossls.

Does anyone know of other 22mm eyepieces that are currently available ?

Edited by dweller25

Do you use any sort of OCA/OCS/GPC or Barlow element to reach focus?  Do you use the binoviewers in a slow SCT/Mak?  If so, you may be able to get away with cheaper wide fields as I do.  The Svbony 68° Ultra Wide Angle 20mm work great in my binoviewer setup at an effective f/18.

Hello @Louis D and thanks for the link.

I use a prism and a x1.25 gpc already to achieve focus in a Mewlon.

I just realised I can get the magnification I am looking for IF my BV setup will come to focus with a diagonal and no gpc - will try that next clear night.

Another option would be to get the x1.7 gpc then I could use my current 25mm’s……

7 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Another option would be to get the x1.7 gpc then I could use my current 25mm’s…

Be aware in your calculations that the 1.7 GPC is actually more like 1.4x (when used as directed in the bino nose).

(The 1.25 and 2.6 are closer to their specified mag factors; 1.2 and 2.5 resp.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, globular said:

Be aware in your calculations that the 1.7 GPC is actually more like 1.4x (when used as directed in the bino nose).

(The 1.25 and 2.6 are closer to their specified mag factors; 1.2 and 2.5 resp.) 

Yes, thanks, I read that on CN and factored it in 👍

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Alan White said:

David, are the Nagler 22's not a 2" barrel?

I own a 22mm NT4 and can confirm it is 2" only.

That AliExpress deal on the Angeleyes 70 degree eyepieces is tempting.  That's way cheaper than Oberwerk's pricing.

• Like 1

I had the 22mm T4 Nagler for a while (my first "big" Tele Vue) and really enjoyed it. The "instajust" feature incorporated into the upper section of the eyepiece took some getting used to though !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

I had the 22mm T4 Nagler for a while (my first "big" Tele Vue) and really enjoyed it. The "instajust" feature incorporated into the upper section of the eyepiece took some getting used to though !

Indeed….we all know that TeleVue make excellent eyepieces. But I cannot understand why they don’t do adjustable eyecups like everyone else…..a well made screw type adjustable eyecup…….simple and solid.  Even the BST Starguiders have that.