Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The walk of doom…

So my new scope lives in our lounge, and will be transported to the garden for viewing sessions. It is a Celestron 8, and too heavy for me to be confident that I won’t take a misstep down the two steps from the back door into the garden and smash it in a therapy inducing way - certainly not all in one go. I don’t mind making a few trips to get it all set up - especially while it’s light at the start of the evening. The OTA is quite awkward so I had a look at handles and straps, Farpoint do a lovely 10” one but it doesn’t appear available in the UK and they want $66 for shipping :O.

I have ordered these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeltauto-Management-Reusable-Fastening-Organizer/dp/B07K7DGKHN/ref=asc_df_B07K7DGKHN/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904160813&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15470328780602954635&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007190&hvtargid=pla-663954981355&psc=1 Anyone have any experience with straps or handles or tips? 

I am a bit worried about a couple of things:

Attaching OTA to mount - I am guessing I need to develop muscle memory for it? The first (and only time so far) I did it, it felt incredibly unsafe and I was worried. Will these straps help? Does anyone use anything that helps? 

Packing up at the end of the night..again … tips for good practice for the pull down. 

Should I rebuild at the end of the night in the house to give it a chance to remove any dew etc? 

I suppose I need good practice tips from you old hands :)

• Like 1

Any farm store will have straps that can be used to wrap around the OTA and used to lift with.  As for post use end of night storage, when I kept it in the house I would put the cover on it and bring it inside and set it all back up and let it set a bit.  Then I would pop the cap off and run the fan with the tube angled down.  Fifteen or twenty minutes was all it took and I never had any issues.  Now I just keep it on it's cart in the garage so it is always close to ambient air temp.  At the end of each session I still keep it pointed down just in case 

38 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I cannot comment unless you make it clear which Celestron 8 you have.  There are quite a number of possibilities.

Its an Evolution - sorry.

1 hour ago, Heids said:

Its an Evolution - sorry.

Fine, so now we know it's a SCT on a relatively portable mount.

I have the C8 SE alt-azimuth GoTo, and yours should be capable of being handled in the same way.  If you had only level surfaces to contend with, you could pick up the whole thing and carry it outdoors through a standard doorway.

What I do if I have to tale the C8 SE to an awkward part of the garden is as follows;  Detach the mount & OTA assembly from the tripod, and carry the  mount/OTA outside and set it down on some convenient surface (it should stand up safely).  Pick up the tripod and carry it outside and set it up in the final position, with legs extended as required. Check the tripod top is level. Collect the mount/OTA and reattach it to the tripod.

When done for the night, I fit the relevant OTA and eyepiece covers and reverse the procedure, leaving the outfit set up indoors to dry off. In several years, this has never caused any problems.

Note that in the case of the C8 SE, Celestron's notes indicate that they don't expect you to separate the OTA and mount.  I recommend that you treat the C8 Evolution the same way, as the C8 SE mount /OTA forms a manageable lump, and separating them is quite awkward in the absence of handles. 

If you must separate the OTA and mount, which I really do not recommend, invest in an accessory bar to fit on the free side of the OTA to act as a grab handle.  IIRC, ADM do one for about £70, which is cheaper than a new OTA should you fumble it.

BTW, do you have a dew shield? It is a non-optional accessory which SCT marketers don't like to show you in the publicity pictures.🙂

EDIT: Just remembered that when I took the C8 SE to Devon a few years back I carried the complete assemblage down & up a flight of 3 or 4 steps several times (watching my footing) rather than go to the bother of splitting it.  I don't know if I would want to do that regularly.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

2 hours ago, Heids said:

Attaching OTA to mount - I am guessing I need to develop muscle memory for it?

Firstly welcome to SGL and congratulations upon having a decent 'scope. The straps may help as attaching the OTA to the mount is awkward on the mount you have. Safest bet would be to obtain assistance from a neighbour or friend!

Wretched scopes seem to get heavier with every passing year, I now have a bit of a struggle (70+) with a Meade 10" SCT OTA @ 14.5Kg, I swear it gets heavier every passing day 😞 Now I need the 'maid' to lend a hand, whereas 20 years ago could have done a Vaslav Nijinski down the stairs carrying the scope!

• Like 1

I always "hug" a larger scope and mount it onto the mount equatorially in the home position, that way you can use your torso as a stop to stop it sliding back and check the dovetail is in the saddle using your fingers on both edges before tightening the saddle. Any issue, you can just lift it back again.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

A C8 OTA isn't that heavy, the handle at the back makes it fairly straightforward to lift and to attach the dovetail... Just have a firm hold and it in your mind that if you drop it, it's unlikely to survive!!

Just don't try to pick it up all attached to the mount .. you could damage the gears by putting stress on the gear to gear mesh 

17 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Just don't try to pick it up all attached to the mount .. you could damage the gears by putting stress on the gear to gear mesh 

Not with a SE mount which has an altitude slip clutch.  I would not even think of lifting the assembly by gripping the OTA.

"A C8 OTA isn't that heavy, the handle at the back "  The current C8 Evolution and SE OTAs do not have a handle at the back.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

Thanks all :)

Yes I have a dew shield, and will be deploying it. 

The size of the OTA and my stature is the issue. I am 5’6” in my garden crocs and if I am hugging the OTA it’s awkward and I won’t be able to see the steps which will add to anxiety about navigating the steps. Maybe I need to practice with the mount and the OTA together as the carry handles on the mount are useful, but still quite heavy (I am a strapping lass, but still). If the manufacturer says don’t split OTA and mount unless you have to then I don’t want to on a regular basis. I will fit the straps and see how I feel about that from the risk POV and then I may well invest in the handle. Transporting mount and OTA together would be optimum, from the sounds of things.

I have done a little reading through threads this morning and I understand the cool down process much more now. 

Hubby is an early to bed kinda guy so whilst I will have help getting it all in situ, at 3am I am on my own getting everything back in the house. 

At the moment it is all theoretical and I am possibly overthinking due to being worried about keeping everything as safe as possible. 

I appreciate you all giving me help, thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Heids said:

Thanks all :)

Yes I have a dew shield, and will be deploying it. 

The size of the OTA and my stature is the issue. I am 5’6” in my garden crocs and if I am hugging the OTA it’s awkward and I won’t be able to see the steps which will add to anxiety about navigating the steps. Maybe I need to practice with the mount and the OTA together as the carry handles on the mount are useful, but still quite heavy (I am a strapping lass, but still). If the manufacturer says don’t split OTA and mount unless you have to then I don’t want to on a regular basis. I will fit the straps and see how I feel about that from the risk POV and then I may well invest in the handle. Transporting mount and OTA together would be optimum, from the sounds of things.

Could you make a ramp for your steps and move the ota/mount on a small trolley? Ramp wouldn't need to be anything fancy - you might bet away with a small piece of plywood if the steps aren't too steep - you'd just need to shape the edges so you don't have to bump the trolley up a 'lip'

• Thanks 1

Looking at the link you posted, I'd not be wanting to rely on those to carry any load

image.png.a089236ee1e83052823f05e7aa8cfed2.png

they are OK for binding cables/grouping things together to aid carrying but aren't designed to bear a load, esp as they are stretchy according to the description you could find they just let go or stretch and slip off. As Geoff mentioned, better to get a bar fitted that you can grab on to. Sorry I can't really add any useful advice as I don't have one of these to share experience about.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Heids said:

at 3am I am on my own getting everything back in the house. 

Hows about leave the whole assembly out overnight with a tarpaulin or some other sort of covering? I have left the Meade SCT and fork assembly out for months on end within the backyard a few years ago and it is still functioning as well as ever....

Dew shield? That's a rolled up large lump of cardboard glued with masking tape.. As good as anything else and a whole lot cheaper than......

Edited by SthBohemia

1 minute ago, SthBohemia said:

Hows about leave the whole assembly out overnight with a tarpaulin or some other sort of covering? I have left the Meade SCT and fork assembly out for months on end within the backyard a few years ago and it is still functioning as well as ever....

My garden is pretty accessible sadly and whilst I live slap bang in the middle of Midsomer Murders territory, there’s less murders and much more rural thievery. 

27 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Looking at the link you posted, I'd not be wanting to rely on those to carry any load

image.png.a089236ee1e83052823f05e7aa8cfed2.pngthey are OK for binding cables/grouping things together to aid carrying but aren't designed to bear a load, esp as they are stretchy according to the description you could find they just let go or stretch and slip off. As Geoff mentioned, better to get a bar fitted that you can grab on to. Sorry I can't really add any useful advice as I don't have one of these to share experience about.

Thanks for the feedback about the straps. Back to the drawing board :)

• Sad 1

You are mindful at the beginning of being super careful with your equipment but afterward it becomes second nature. Practicing assembling and disassembling indoors helps a lot and gets your mind trained into a procedure. I have my setups in individual bags so depending on what I want to do I'll carry outside the respective equipment, even the OTAs are all in bags. My main AP setup is in one and I can take the bag out, setup in around 15-20mins, get focused, polar aligned and start shooting in another 10-15mins. I wouldn't however want to carry out my gem28 with OTA attached, even though I can manage it it's not advisable, set it up in stages outdoors unless you've got a clear and short walking path with no obstacles.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

You are mindful at the beginning of being super careful with your equipment but afterward it becomes second nature. Practicing assembling and disassembling indoors helps a lot and gets your mind trained into a procedure. I have my setups in individual bags so depending on what I want to do I'll carry outside the respective equipment, even the OTAs are all in bags. My main AP setup is in one and I can take the bag out, setup in around 15-20mins, get focused, polar aligned and start shooting in another 10-15mins. I wouldn't however want to carry out my gem28 with OTA attached, even though I can manage it it's not advisable, set it up in stages outdoors unless you've got a clear and short walking path with no obstacles.

Good advice, thank you :)

1 hour ago, Heids said:

Good advice, thank you :)

If you want to put a handle on your SCT, you could consider fitting another dovetail to the top of the OTA then getting a handle something like this - Baader Handle

It's not cheap though, and the bag suggestion from Elps may be the cheaper option.

There is also a cheaper suggestion for a handle here, if you don't mind drilling a couple of holes:  

Edited by Shimrod
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

ike this - Baader Handle

!! 82 quid for a handle that should be priced around 5 quid!!

DIY handle, loosen 2 screws at each end of the OTA, attach 4 lugs to the OTA drilled 5mm for the OTA screws and 12mm for the open end lugs. Make a sling/handle affair from 10mm nylon cord... Instant handle!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

t's astro gear. What do you expect?😆

Ya, tell me about it 😞 I fabricate  just about anything I am able to fabricate! Losmandy/Vixen type rail- a lump of 50mm by 16mm aluminium bar milled on a lathe. I did not earn the nickname of, 'The Rabbi' for 'nuffink'..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Not with a SE mount which has an altitude slip clutch.  I would not even think of lifting the assembly by gripping the OTA.

"A C8 OTA isn't that heavy, the handle at the back "  The current C8 Evolution and SE OTAs do not have a handle at the back.

Not so sure that having the OTA flapping around on a loose clutch is any better either..

At the time I just read it as a c8

I have an Evolution, in my case the 9.25, which whilst heavier than your C8, it is very similar. The mount is superb, tracking and goto in my experience are without fault. I also see no reason not to remove the OTA from the mount, I always do. First out  goes the tripod, levelled, then out goes the mount, which is easy attached, again levelled, then out goes the OTA. There has never been a problem and Celestron do not advise keeping the OTA and mount attached, as far as I now, with the Evolution. Obviously the reverse to bring it all back in. :smiley:

I have to admit to being very nervous, regarding the OTA. because it is now at my limit because of health issues, but it is well worth the effort, when I can find the time. ( Even if it has been quite a while. ) I am afraid I now more often use a C5 on an AZGTi, just so grab and go!  :grin:

As for the steps and them being a nuisance, I would suggest a ready made ramp, if you cannot be bothered to make your own, they are available at mobility stores, come at many various prices. They are even available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NRS-Healthcare-Mobility-Care-Wheelchair/dp/B006J7HJV6/ref=sr_1_57?crid=1MIJ1D4U69JCX&keywords=ramp&qid=1658348229&sprefix=ramp%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-57

There are many cheaper than that example, just shop around, because I have found that some of the mobility stores, take the proverbial, knowing they often have their clients over a barrel, so to speak. I speak from experience, having a disabled wife. :smiley:

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

I have an Evolution, in my case the 9.25, which whilst heavier than your C8, it is very similar. The mount is superb, tracking and goto in my experience are without fault. I also see no reason not to remove the OTA from the mount, I always do. First out  goes the tripod, levelled, then out goes the mount, which is easy attached, again levelled, then out goes the OTA. There has never been a problem and Celestron do not advise keeping the OTA and mount attached, as far as I now, with the Evolution. Obviously the reverse to bring it all back in. :smiley:

I have to admit to being very nervous, regarding the OTA. because it is now at my limit because of health issues, but it is well worth the effort, when I can find the time. ( Even if it has been quite a while. ) I am afraid I now more often use a C5 on an AZGTi, just so grab and go!  :grin:

As for the steps and them being a nuisance, I would suggest a ready made ramp, if you cannot be bothered to make your own, they are available at mobility stores, come at many various prices. They are even available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NRS-Healthcare-Mobility-Care-Wheelchair/dp/B006J7HJV6/ref=sr_1_57?crid=1MIJ1D4U69JCX&keywords=ramp&qid=1658348229&sprefix=ramp%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-57

There are many cheaper than that example, just shop around, because I have found that some of the mobility stores, take the proverbial, knowing they often have their clients over a barrel, so to speak. I speak from experience, having a disabled wife. :smiley:

I think I just need to give it that extra time to get it all set up as you suggest. Of course it’s now cloudy til Monday night for me… sorry about that one folks.