NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ah, come on! Really!??

maw lod qan

I found an ugly spot on my lunar images using my 3x Barlow!

Now I find out Baader wonder fuild is not available on this side of the pond!

So, what is a red headed amateur amateur astronomer to do?

Do I waste good alcohol on cleaning lens?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No way, especially if it is a single malt maw lod qan, that would be sacrilege :) 

Pretty sure Wonder Fluid is just Isopropyl alcohol. Maybe start with a 50% diluted with water. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, saac said:

No way, especially if it is a single malt maw lod qan, that would be sacrilege :) 

Pretty sure Wonder Fluid is just Isopropyl alcohol. Maybe start with a 50% diluted with water. 

Jim 

What, dilute good alcohol with water?

You are starting to sound like SWMBO! 😆

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

AstroPhysics recommends the following cleaning formula.

To make 16 oz solution use 
3 parts distilled water 
1 part isopropyl alcohol 91% + 
1 drop biodegradable dish soap 

Thats similar to my goto recipe except I use 99.99% IPA at 50-50 with distilled water and a single drop of the mild green stuff. Works for my glasses lenses and 3d printer bed.

Alan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

ah but in fact a good malt is improved with water, just a splash tho mind. Just don't drink it after you've washed the barlow with it, never know what other stuff the golden liquid will have been contaminated with.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

I wouldn't recommend drinking either isomer of propyl alcohol. While a small amount won't kill you, it is not as intoxicating as ethanol and it results in a much worse headache afterwards.

What it does do is screw with the readings of a gas chromatograph if you drink some after ethanol and you would prefer people not to have an accurate figure for the latter in your breath.

Edited by Xilman
fix tyop

45 minutes ago, Xilman said:

I wouldn't recommend drinking either isomer of propyl alcohol. While a small amount won't kill you, it is not as intoxicating as ethanol and it results in a much worse headache afterwards.

What it does do is screw with the readings of a gas chromatograph if you drink some after ethanol and you would prefer people not to have an accurate figure for the latter in your breath.

I always remember the rule for methanol, 8 times less intoxicating, 8 times more toxic.

The only real hope you have for methanol intoxication is... Ethanol.  Usually rigs/boats that store lots of methanol for oil industry use will have a couple bottles of vodka in the medica cabin.

There was always a story of some guys cleaning a tank on a supply vessel getting overcome with methanol fumes and being saved my the Russian crew absolutely pumping him full of weapons grade vodka till professional medical help arrived.

Note: I am not a medic.  I'm not even professional.  I do not recommend drinking meths as an excuse to down a bottle of grants cheapest.