Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn and Jupiter 15th june

neil phillips

Struggling to get a clean shot of Saturn. was going to try a IR capture, but kept persisting with RGB. Its rather difficult using a ADC barlow and camera on a Newtonian. A Filter wheel in place too. Not only may not come to focus. But the overhang and movement hanging off the side of a Newtonian. is quite bad. causing tilts and what not. So to change filters requires removing the camera. Rather off putting generally. Tbh.  It also doesnt help that i am severely under mounted using the Orion. The slightest movement and its all over the place.

Having said all that. good as the Classical cassegrain is. ( and for its 7.3 size its a cracker) The Orion said bye bye to that resolution wise. And certainly my best shots so far this year. Need to try and do more experimenting see if i can get the filter wheel ADC combo to work together so i can switch between IR and colour.  Its not certain i can though unfortunately.  The mount has also got looser and needs tightening. Work in progress. But thats half the challenge

Orion 245mm F6.3 Newtionian. QHY462C Camera UV IR CUT. SW EQ5 PRO Mount ZWO ADC Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow

02:49 UT          RGB

15th june.png 02.49 UT.png b.png

03:57              RGB

03. 57 UT 15th june. orion.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

Great capture and processing. I really like how you have pulled the banding on both planets.

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Its rather difficult using a ADC barlow and camera on a Newtonian.

The ADC seems a nice addition. Do you reach focus ok or did you have to move the mirror (I do not want to do that)? I would be interested to add an ADC for my visual and possibly captures.

29 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great capture and processing. I really like how you have pulled the banding on both planets.

The ADC seems a nice addition. Do you reach focus ok or did you have to move the mirror (I do not want to do that)? I would be interested to add an ADC for my visual and possibly captures.

Hi Kon no. you shouldnt have to move your mirror. Depending on the barlow sometimes focus reach can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes in travel wont come to focus ive had that. Out travel is not a problem as you can add small extensions. But generally a standard 2x barlow infront of the ADC should work. You also have to figure if your ADC Is a right or left. depending which it is will determine which side you have to mount on your focuser. Also you have to angle the ADC To horizontal. Not a problem with SCTs but newts are another matter. Fortunately there is a easy fix. A member on here told me about. If you do get one just pm and i will talk you through it. Though i am still a ADC novice myself really

Still think a crude drive on your dob will do more for you than a ADC even visual. But thats for you to decide if you think thats the case or not. I started with dobs both visual and imaging. Drives. even basic ones really make it so much easier. your visual will be more relaxed. And your imaging quite a bit cleaner. 

But i know your not convinced its worth your benefit

Edited by neil phillips

8 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Still think a crude drive on your dob will do more for you than a ADC even visual. But thats for you to decide if you think thats the case or not. I started with dobs both visual and imaging. Drives. even basic ones really make it so much easier. your visual will be more relaxed. And your imaging quite a bit cleaner. 

But i know your not convinced its worth your benefit

Thanks for the explanation regarding the ADC. Since our previous discussions, I am considering an EQ platform since I would also like to start doing some sketches on the EP (I love my visual observations). I am not good with DIYing so it will have to be a shop bought one (and currently looking around), and the cost of an ADC could go towards the platform if the benefit might not be as great (for now).

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks for the explanation regarding the ADC. Since our previous discussions, I am considering an EQ platform since I would also like to start doing some sketches on the EP (I love my visual observations). I am not good with DIYing so it will have to be a shop bought one (and currently looking around), and the cost of an ADC could go towards the platform if the benefit might not be as great (for now).

Personally think its a good call. ADCs are fine tuning. Drives a essential if you go past the casual look.. Sketching will benefit

Really nice images there Neil, Jupiter is looking quite different to last year. It’s nice of it to change it’s cloud belts around each season to keep us interested! 
Rather that a filter wheel have you though about a filter drawer? Much lighter than a wheel and makes it easy to swap between filters.

This is the one I’ve used….

https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-Optics-Filter-Quick-Changer-incl.-1x-1.25-Filter-Drawer-Low-Profile

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Really nice images there Neil, Jupiter is looking quite different to last year. It’s nice of it to change it’s cloud belts around each season to keep us interested! 
Rather that a filter wheel have you though about a filter drawer? Much lighter than a wheel and makes it easy to swap between filters.

This is the one I’ve used….

https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-Optics-Filter-Quick-Changer-incl.-1x-1.25-Filter-Drawer-Low-Profile

Hi Craig. Good to see you around. And thank you. for the positive comments on the images. You know i have never ever heard of a filter draw. What a great idea. Makes perfect sense when you think about it. I will have to look into that. Could be a good solution. If i cant get anywhere with my filter wheel ( Think i remember trying before ? ) That could be a great plan B

Cheers for the info Craig. Really useful. Btw hope everything is good. 

A good result this early on Neil from your well proven scope,  im sorting out my rig for the forth coming onsllaught of the planets this season, but maybe a few weeks yet due to my imaging window!

2 minutes ago, si@nite said:

A good result this early on Neil from your well proven scope,  im sorting out my rig for the forth coming onsllaught of the planets this season, but maybe a few weeks yet due to my imaging window!

Hi Simon yes i saw Martyn mention something about your area of view. Plenty of time for you to get up and running. Seeing was reasonable this end. But obviously daylight and low down. Doesnt help.

Cheers for the positive comments

4 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Dam early start though, might be a while before they are visible for me i think. What altitude was Jupiter for you ?

The sun was 3 degrees above the Horizon. Jupiter was 28 degrees.. I couldn't  have gone on much longer. Jupiter was getting very washed out. As the sun goes above the horizon it starts causing heat

Saturn was 21 degrees

But the take home from this is low elevation is more damaging than daylight. As the best results were in daylight. But it does complicate processing a little. Colour balance gets thrown off.

• Like 1

Hi Neil The big newt is certainly pulling out more resolution than the Cc. You can clearly see the cassini ring all the way around the globe on Saturn and for just RGB shot in twighlight skies that really is quite remarkable. Regarding the Adc I actually have my barlow camera side of the Adc at the moment but seems to be working ok. (still loads of time for experimentation) Your Jupiter image is showing lots of fine detail and that must have been captured in pure daylight so congrats on two excellent images.👍

4 hours ago, morimarty said:

Hi Neil The big newt is certainly pulling out more resolution than the Cc. You can clearly see the cassini ring all the way around the globe on Saturn and for just RGB shot in twighlight skies that really is quite remarkable. Regarding the Adc I actually have my barlow camera side of the Adc at the moment but seems to be working ok. (still loads of time for experimentation) Your Jupiter image is showing lots of fine detail and that must have been captured in pure daylight so congrats on two excellent images.👍

Cheers Martyn. As long as you use your SCT the ADC just needs the bubble level to orientate it to horizontal. Its only when Newts become part of the picture. That the procedure becomes somewhat different. 

Once again thanks for the nice compliments. Very much appreciated.