SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do Canon EOS cameras all have an inbuilt interval timer?

I'm looking at getting an astro modified Canon EOS 600D as my astro camera.

Does anybody know if it has an inbuilt interval timer? If so what is the number of shots that can be programmed? If it does then presumably I could set a delayed start and just rely on that rather than have a separate intervalometer? Sorry if it's a naive question but Google really wasn't not my friend on this.

Rather surprisingly my Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera does have one built in and it would appear to let me take up to 9,999 shots

As far as I know some Canon cameras have an interval timer that lets you shoot any number of images provided they are 30s or less, there is also a bulb timer that lets you set any duration for a  single shot but unfortunately you cant combine both functions. The camera might also have a continuous shooting mode but but cant remember if that works in bulb mode..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 2

My 550D can only shoot continuously, so exposures back to back, and only up to 30s.

However you could install https://magiclantern.fm/  to get many 3rd party features, like a proper in-camera intervalometer where the 30s limit and only continuous shooting rules dont apply. You can also set a delay between shots if you are worried about mirror shaking affecting the shots.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

My 550D can only shoot continuously, so exposures back to back, and only up to 30s.

However you could install https://magiclantern.fm/  to get many 3rd party features, like a proper in-camera intervalometer where the 30s limit and only continuous shooting rules dont apply. You can also set a delay between shots if you are worried about mirror shaking affecting the shots.

Thanks. Magic Lantern certainly looks like an option. Have you tried it?

6 minutes ago, Sarek said:

Thanks. Magic Lantern certainly looks like an option. Have you tried it?

Have used it a bunch before i hooked my 550D to a mini-PC and controlled the exposures with NINA. Simple changes like the intervalometer work great with no issues. There are also some not quite flawless settings that can make the firmware crash but the camera warns you of those before hand (video related mostly).

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

As far as I know some Canon cameras have an interval timer that lets you shoot any number of images provided they are 30s or less, there is also a bulb timer that lets you set any duration for a  single shot but unfortunately you cant combine both functions. The camera might also have a continuous shooting mode but but cant remember if that works in bulb mode..

Alan

That’s what my Canon 77D has, it’s annoying that you can’t programme multiple bulb exposures.

I ended up getting a Pixel Wireless Intervalometer from Amazon, have to say it’s worked flawlessly over the last 7 months.

You mount the receiver onto the hotshoe and connect with the supplied cable. It’s still on the first set of batteries and controlled via a remote. I usually set it running 30-45 minutes of images, then go outside and check the alignment etc is still ok, but you can set up to 999 photos from to be taken. Also quite handy after a batch of images, if the clouds have rolled over for a bit I put the cap on the scope and take darks until it’s cleared up. 

Another option if you have a Star Adventurer like me, is that you can get a cable that connects it to the camera and is in turn controlled via the app on your phone. When I was starting, the cable was sold out everywhere so I looked for other options and never looked back . 

• Like 1

The external intervalometers are relatively cheap and easy to use. I used one with my 450d and 600d before my AAP and works beautifully, just input the number of images, time of exposures, delay and interval and away you go. 

👍

I have a built in intervalometer on my Pentax K5, but I find an external one much easier to use, particularly when the camera is at an awkward angle* 

I have a velcro 'loop' pad on the back and two velcro 'hook' pads on the mount, so that I have somewhere to fix it (otherwise it tends to act like a pendulum),  but other than that, it's an easy way to remotely fire the shutter and set a sequence running without having to crane my neck. 

*it's always at an awkward angle!

Used magic lantern on my astro modded 600D before I hooked it up to my laptop for control. Worked fine, from memory it was a little fiddly to set it up. So long ago now though that I can't remember the exact steps!  

Ed