Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M16 -Eagle Nebula

I have been wrestling with AP with very mixed results for about 12 months and so was inordinately excited to make out the shadowy outline of the pillars of creation in the subs on my first attempt at M16 earlier this week. Being colour blind adds a further degree of complexity to my processing efforts beyond those everyone struggles with. Despite all that, I am here to learn so would welcome any input my fellow SGLers can offer to help me improve things. 

TS Photoline 130 APO, full spectrum molded Canon 70d, astronomik UHC and L2 ir/uv filters

70x120s guided subs (dithered every 3), plus darks, flats and bias frames

Stacked in DSS, processed in GIMP

Cheers

J

received_1713211275698601.jpeg

• Like 21

13 hours ago, Gogleddgazer said:

I have been wrestling with AP with very mixed results for about 12 months and so was inordinately excited to make out the shadowy outline of the pillars of creation in the subs on my first attempt at M16 earlier this week. Being colour blind adds a further degree of complexity to my processing efforts beyond those everyone struggles with. Despite all that, I am here to learn so would welcome any input my fellow SGLers can offer to help me improve things. 

TS Photoline 130 APO, full spectrum molded Canon 70d, astronomik UHC and L2 ir/uv filters

70x120s guided subs (dithered every 3), plus darks, flats and bias frames

Stacked in DSS, processed in GIMP

Cheers

J

received_1713211275698601.jpeg

Amazing, I'd love to image this but too low down for me, really great image 👍

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

A very good Eagle, especially since it was flying so close to the ground! 😁

I think it would stand more contrast in processing. You can use a standard contrast slider or, if you have a program with Curves, you could fix the bottom of the curve where it is and lift the curve above that. This will avoid boosting the noise.

On any Ha nebulosity you can, if you have Photoshop, go to Adjustments-Selective Colour and lower the cyans in red (top slider to the left.) This is often spectacularly successful in boosting Ha emission.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

A very good Eagle, especially since it was flying so close to the ground! 😁

I think it would stand more contrast in processing. You can use a standard contrast slider or, if you have a program with Curves, you could fix the bottom of the curve where it is and lift the curve above that. This will avoid boosting the noise.

On any Ha nebulosity you can, if you have Photoshop, go to Adjustments-Selective Colour and lower the cyans in red (top slider to the left.) This is often spectacularly successful in boosting Ha emission.

Olly

Thanks Olly, high praise indeed coming from you - I think I got lucky with the seeing and a host of other things besides. Looks like I need to spend more time honing and refining my processing skills! Something for the many many cloudy nights here in N Wales. 😄

On 03/06/2022 at 15:51, Gogleddgazer said:

Thanks Olly, high praise indeed coming from you - I think I got lucky with the seeing and a host of other things besides. Looks like I need to spend more time honing and refining my processing skills! Something for the many many cloudy nights here in N Wales. 😄

Unlike capture skills, processing skills never reach any kind of limit...

Olly

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 08:58, Gogleddgazer said:

have been wrestling with AP with very mixed results for about 12 months and so was inordinately excited to make out the shadowy outline of the pillars of creation in the subs on my first attempt at M16 earlier this week.

Impressive looking image 👍

• Thanks 1