Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WL 22nd May

neil phillips

Excellent images @neil phillips! It’s an amazing AR, took me a bit by surprise when I viewed it today. I haven’t managed to observe for a while and wasn’t expecting anything so big. The separation in the umbra on the left hand side was really vivid I thought.

Anyway, amazing detail! Thanks for posting these.

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

Excellent images @neil phillips! It’s an amazing AR, took me a bit by surprise when I viewed it today. I haven’t managed to observe for a while and wasn’t expecting anything so big. The separation in the umbra on the left hand side was really vivid I thought.

Anyway, amazing detail! Thanks for posting these.

Hi Stu yes it really is quite something isnt it. Wish i had got the larger optics on it once i saw the amount of detail there. Thanks for the comments. 

2 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Certainly is Neil. I am working on a new filter for the C9.25, made from hardboard. Hopefully a few more like it when i eventually Finnish it.

Interesting Pete, are you using hardwood because of heat problems with cardboard ? What size is it going to be. I redid my bresser out of thinner denser cardboard. Vinyl wrapped on one side. The 190mm film is still on thick spongey cardboard. Not ideal i dont think

I made the 1st one out of two pieces of cardboard, taped together with the film in-between.  The aperture was a poorly cut  190mm approx.  

I was messing around with it at work, when a colleague ask me what i was up to?  Long story short he has cut two pieces of hardboard with a perfect round aperture of 200mm. So i have been spraying them white tonight, in preparation for  the film.  Hopefully the white colour will stop too much warm of the filter surround.

I will post a thread on here for definite showing the filter and hopefully the a decent 1st light. 

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

I made the 1st one out of two pieces of cardboard, taped together with the film in-between.  The aperture was a poorly cut  190mm approx.  

I was messing around with it at work, when a colleague ask me what i was up to?  Long story short he has cut two pieces of hardboard with a perfect round aperture of 200mm. So i have been spraying them white tonight, in preparation for  the film.  Hopefully the white colour will stop too much warm of the filter surround.

I will post a thread on here for definite showing the filter and hopefully the a decent 1st light. 

Sounds good will look out for the post Pete. Will be interesting to see if you think it has improved performance. I seem to have this gut feeling the thick spongey cardboard will once heat up. Transmit more heat back down the tube. Though in my case i made it quite thick (3 layers) So i am uncertain if being as thick as it is. It can actually get through that much. I am unsure ?

But thermally your hardwood must be a good solution

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Sounds good will look out for the post Pete. Will be interesting to see if you think it has improved performance. I seem to have this gut feeling the thick spongey cardboard will once heat up. Transmit more heat back down the tube. Though in my case i made it quite thick (3 layers) So i am uncertain if being as thick as it is. It can actually get through that much. I am unsure ?

But thermally your hardwood must be a good solution

I think the white colour must be a good thing as well, one thing is for certain i think,  the seeing needs to be very good for it to perform well at that aperture

• Like 1