NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pegasus Astro Nyx Harmonic mount intro price unveiled

vineyard

USD 2960, which should hopefully not mean the same in GBP given its assembled in Greece & so the geographical proximity really should not allow for a 30% markup to enter these fair shores?  Ofc there may be VAT that needs to be added.

https://pegasusastro.com/products/nyx-101-harmonic-gear-mount/

They do make really good products, and their responsiveness is excellent, so will be keeping a curious eye out for the reviews.  It's smack bang the same price (excl VAT) as Avalon's Evo Zero which should be v interesting to compare, although takes 50% higher payload.

Both priced between the AM5 & iOptron HEM on one end, and the RST on the other - but Nyx has the highest payload tolerance of them all.

Grabbing popcorn...🍿

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vineyard said:

USD 2960, which should hopefully not mean the same in GBP given its assembled in Greece & so the geographical proximity really should not allow for a 30% markup to enter these fair shores?  Ofc there may be VAT that needs to be added.

https://pegasusastro.com/products/nyx-101-harmonic-gear-mount/

They do make really good products, and their responsiveness is excellent, so will be keeping a curious eye out for the reviews.  It's smack bang the same price (excl VAT) as Avalon's Evo Zero which should be v interesting to compare, although takes 50% higher payload.

Both priced between the AM5 & iOptron HEM on one end, and the RST on the other - but Nyx has the highest payload tolerance of them all.

Grabbing popcorn...🍿

Nice. I like that it has a power off brake amongst other nifty features. 

• Like 2

I do like these and the Rainbow astro RST-135e really look like great bits of kit. With a carbon fibre tripod, extension your looking at 15kgs max if my calculations are right light enough to carry anywhere.

• Like 3

Since the Pegasus can be used in AltZ mode I'm wondering if this might be a better alternative to an AZ100.

Lighter in exchange for giving up dual scopes.

I think the light weight mounts will cause a rethink of lighter AltZ mounts for visual usage. For example the Pegasus plus a carbon tripod is around 10 kg, which is the weight of an AZ100 without a tripod. That makes moving a 5" APO scope + Pegasus around the garden quite possible. 

However traditional mounts have much better guiding accuracy so are quite safe for now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Has a patent suddenly expired or something?!

That's a good Q David - there has to be some reason for this sudden deluge.

4 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Since the Pegasus can be used in AltZ mode I'm wondering if this might be a better alternative to an AZ100.

Lighter in exchange for giving up dual scopes.

I think the light weight mounts will cause a rethink of lighter AltZ mounts for visual usage. For example the Pegasus plus a carbon tripod is around 10 kg, which is the weight of an AZ100 without a tripod. That makes moving a 5" APO scope + Pegasus around the garden quite possible. 

However traditional mounts have much better guiding accuracy so are quite safe for now.

That's a v good shout.  With 20kg payload you probably could still double scope (within reason) by piggy backing one on top of the other, instead of side by side, like a little wide field frac on a longer f/l beast.

21 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That's a good Q David - there has to be some reason for this sudden deluge.

That's a v good shout.  With 20kg payload you probably could still double scope (within reason) by piggy backing one on top of the other, instead of side by side, like a little wide field frac on a longer f/l beast.

Two scopes for me would be hitting 20 kg, however same time visual only.

I could want to go up to 25 kg double scoped in the future however I wonder what the stretch is using the counter weight?

6 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Two scopes for me would be hitting 20 kg, however same time visual only.

I could want to go up to 25 kg double scoped in the future however I wonder what the stretch is using the counter weight?

30kg with counterweights (specs table at the bottom here https://pegasusastro.com/products/nyx-101-harmonic-gear-mount/) so maybe piggybacking could work?

I think there will be places for all mounts to be honest, the lighter ones are great for lighter set ups in my view,
something solid and heavy, needs to sit on a solid mount and a solid base.
I wonder how much weight the tripods can take? on a brezzy day hmmm.

Something designed for astro imaging will be different to something for visual use without shakes and wobbles.
Let's face it imagers dodn't touch the kit, ley aolone go outside if they can 🤣 (I jest).

This thread is about the Pegasus mount and Harmonics, not other mounts so lets talk about that shall we....

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1

Pegasus have posted a guide log from a 2000mm FL and OAG over on CN. RMS was pretty high with poor seeing, they had it fully loaded for test purposes so I don't think you can read too much into the numbers. Shortly about to test a 140 mm frac in better seeing and will be publishing the results. 

It looks like this could be a well designed and good quality mount. Looking forward to seeing the test results

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Something designed for astro imaging will be different to something for visual use without shakes and wobbles.

The Pegasus has an ALtZ mode for visual hence the question. 

16 minutes ago, Alan White said:

But doing alt az does not guarantee it will be solid in use with a refractor for visual, it clearly might and change the way we all do things, jury is out

But a long heavy refractor vibration free ?

This is a good question. Looking at the guidance from Pegasus 900 mm for an APO might be an upper limit.

Interesting they decided to show case with a C11 as focal length needs tracking error kept under control.

Guess we will need to wait for beta testing.

• 7 months later...